Windows 10 and TV tuner

I watch TV via Windows Media Center on my desktop.  With Windows 10 WMC disappears.  How would I watch tv???

Answer
Answer

Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?

No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

So what are the alternatives if I need Media Center?

Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.

• Windows 7 editions that include Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2020.
  • Windows 8 Pro with Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2023.

Will Windows Media Center be available in Windows 10?

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Are there any alternatives to Windows Media Center?

If you need the PVR (personal video recorder) features in Windows Media Center, then Media Portal is one alternative. If you just want a simple video player, I like MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema), but VLC will do the job. All three are open source and free.

Source:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/jun/25/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-7-questions-answered 

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Lynn,

To be able to watch TV through a TV tuner with Windows 10, you will need a third party application. 

There are several freeware applications available.  You can run a Google search for WMC alternative or similar. 

Paid applications tend to be published by TV tuner makers and are limited to working solely with their hardware.  However, I did find DVB viewer and I think it is good.  It does not take long to get to grips with.  I use it to watch & to record TV.  It copes with multiple TV tuners well and has only missed one recording in the past month.  I have used it on Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 10.  I understand that the price has just gone up to €20; it is worth every penny.

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2024 Views 77,522 Applies to: