KB3035583 installed but not icon on taskbar

I have three OS systems. Two are on a dual boot desktop with one boot to 8.1 Pro (64 bit) and the other to 7.1 Pro with SP1 (64bit). The third is a notebook at 7.1 SP1 Home Premium with SP1 (64bit). All have KB3035583 installed and are connected to the Internet via the same modem (IP address) with the notebook via a router to the modem.

The two desktop systems show the "Get Windows 10" icon and I activated the one for the 7.1 system. However, the notebook system doesn't display an icon and there is no entry in the "Control Panel -> Notification Area Icons" for GWX. 

I uninstalled KB3035583 from the notebook and then reinstalled it with successful install message but I still don't see a GWX icon on that system.

What am I missing or what is wrong?

George M in Durham, NC

(Moved from Windows 7)

Answer
Answer

I have three OS systems. Two are on a dual boot desktop with one boot to 8.1 Pro (64 bit) and the other to 7.1 Pro with SP1 (64bit). The third is a notebook at 7.1 SP1 Home Premium with SP1 (64bit). All have KB3035583 installed and are connected to the Internet via the same modem (IP address) with the notebook via a router to the modem.

The two desktop systems show the "Get Windows 10" icon and I activated the one for the 7.1 system. However, the notebook system doesn't display an icon and there is no entry in the "Control Panel -> Notification Area Icons" for GWX. 

I uninstalled KB3035583 from the notebook and then reinstalled it with successful install message but I still don't see a GWX icon on that system.

What am I missing or what is wrong?

George M in Durham, NC

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

If you don’t see the Get Windows 10  app on your PC, it might be because:

1. Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
  2. Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically.
  3. You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
  4. Your device is not running genuine Windows.

Running Windows Update and installing any available updates will fix the first three issues. Need more help? Go to our Windows Community Forum.

PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10  app before July 29, 2015. After July 29, 2015, we’ll enable the icon in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC’s compatibility if you choose.

If your device is managed as part of a school or business network, please check with your IT administrator about upgrading to Windows 10.

Also see discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2021 Views 22,064 Applies to: