INstalling Windows 10 as a virtual machine in parallel to WIndows 7 ultimate of windows 8.1

I have several PCs, running Windows 7 ultimate x64 and Windows 8.1 X64.

I was offered to join the "Get Windows 10" campaign, reserved my copy of windows 10, and am waiting to July 29 to hear more.

However, I have no information about the technical capabilities and feature of Windows 10, its compatibility with other MS software (like Office 2007, 2010 or 2013) or other software (e.g., security software, adobe packages, databases, etc.)

Thus, I would like to run initially windows 10 on a virtual machine, in parallel to my existing windows 7 and 8.1, and test the windows 10 for performance, compatibility, features, benefits, and limitations.

My question: Will I be able to install windows 10 on a virtual machine? Will I have to get a separate MSI developer package (that the standard provided to other recipients of this offer)? Will I have to get different instructions?

Or will the 3GB package I will get automatically install itself on top of my current configuration and voids the current configuration? Will I be able to remove the Windows 10?

I will be most grateful for answers to these questions.

Yair Babad

Answer
Answer

I want to try Windows 10 out before upgrading or buying it:

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc),  games and settings (ie. passwords, custom dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Resources: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2018 Views 754 Applies to: