Am I eligible for the Windows 10 update? I've tried everything.

I've just bought a brand new HP Pavilion 15 Notebook last week and I'm wondering if I am able to get the free Windows 10 update. I've been checking online and trying what people have been suggesting. 

I am running on Windows 8.1.

I have checked my windows updates installing KB3035583 and KB2976978 which seemed to have done nothing. 

I am not using Windows 10 Build 10130. 

So I'm not sure why I'm not seeing the icon on my taskbar. 

Before you suggest I have looked at this page http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b and the only thing that I haven't tried is the code. I hope you can give me some help. 

Thank you. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes, you are eligible.

Can I reserve even if I didn’t get a notification?

Yes. You can reserve your upgrade at any time on any compatible PC by clicking on the Get Windows 10 app or the Windows Update control panel.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Using the faq page doesn't help me at all because eventually I'm directed to a page telling me to reserve windows 10 from my taskbar which I can't do. I cannot seem to find an option where I can reserve an upgrade without the get windows 10 app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

oofi, you have most likely already done this, but did you check to make sure that the icon isn't under the little "show hidden icons" up arrow thing on your taskbar?  If it's a new PC, there may just be so many icons on the taskbar that there is no room for it to pop up, and if you click on that little up arrow thing it may be there. 

Like I said, you have probably already done this, but I thought I would suggest it just in case. 

Also, being that it's an OEM pc, it most likely already is, but did you check just to make sure Windows 8.1 is activated?  I don't know if this would affect seeing the W10 upgrade icon or not, but I just thought I would mention it, as well. 

I hope you can eventually solve this.  Windows problems are VERY annoying sometimes, and the answers, if you know what I mean, don't always make sense (nor even apply). 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done everything I can think of however silly it may be! 

I'm not sure what you mean by windows 8.1 being activated? Can you explain a little more please?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sure.  Either on your start menu, or if you have it on your desktop, you can do it from there, too, right click on the "This PC" icon, then select properties.  About  two thirds of the way down the page, you should see a thing that says "Windows Activation".  Right under that it should say either "Windows is activated", or something to indicate that it is not activated.   The icon you initially click on may not necessarily say "This PC" due to your specific brand, but it should be the one with the picture of a computer monitor on it. 

If it's not activated, it needs to be, and there is most likely going to be something there for you to click on to do so. 

Hope this helps. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not seeing anything telling me to activate windows all it's saying it so enter a product key to get more for my windows 8. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not seeing anything telling me to activate windows all it's saying it so enter a product key to get more for my windows 8. 

I'm in the same position buddy,have you checked to see if you have the GWX folder under system32 under windows under C:(which is your hard drive)

Edit:If u find solution please re-post. Thx :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey,

i m facing the same problem, i have tried everything, but still theres no window icon on taskbar,

i bought hp pavilion 15p-045tx 10 days ago from snapdeal.

if u find any solution, plzzz let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There's nothing anywhere on that page that says "Windows Activation"?  At the top of the page it says "View basic information about your computer", right?  That's the page you should get when right clicking on "This Computer" and selecting properties. 

There should be places where it says "Windows Edition", "System", "Computer name, domain, and work group settings", and "Windows Activation".  Right below that last heading it should say something to the effect of "Windows is Activated", or something to indicate it's not. 

I'll try to upload a pic so you can see where I'm talking about. 

Down there on the bottom where it says Windows activation.  That's where you should see something.  The boxes are just where I blocked my personal info. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm being ditsy my windows is activated sorry! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2020 Views 4,566 Applies to: