windows 10 error Microsoft Windows update Client error id 20 failed to install

this error happens every morning and it logs it at least four times in event viewer, but if I check Windows update manually it states it's is up to date and if I check installed Windows updates it shows no install failures, not sure why this error started all of a sudden ??????????????????????????, I think this is the result of a Windows 10 update because this is a recent problem that appeared after some recent Windows 10 updates.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I know how this concerns you, let me help you to resolve this issue.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1: Perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. Perform a clean boot on the computer by following the steps given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to disable third party security software (if any installed), and check.

Disable Antivirus:

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

THIRD PARTY LINK DISCLAIMER 

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 3:

I suggest you to reset the Windows Update components. Refer the section manually reset Windows Update components in the below article to reset the windows update components.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Registry disclaimer:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

all updates have been installed correctly, but when the system checks for updates early in the morning that's when the error occurs, I ran the Windows update trouble shooter and it came back with a problem with service registration not sure what to do with this problem Iattached a picture if you can help thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing.

I suggest you perform the below steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disable the antivirus software in your computer if you have any and check.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2: Rename software distribution and check.

If the issue still remains, try manually reset the Windows Updates Components once again and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6. After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 12,607 Applies to: