Discussion

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424) FAILED and took forever to uninstall

BobFoorest42 started on
Just received the first update to Windows 10 today and it failed to install.
971 people have recommended this discussion

Abuse history

BrettDM replied on

same.

Downloads, reboot to install.

Gets to 30% and reboots.

Gets yo 59% and reboots.

Gets to 59% again and then states something went wrong so uninstalling the update.

Wait a few minutes and reboot.

Back to login screen.

This happens without fail, every single time.

Windows 10 Pro on a Domain joined PC. My account is also local admin.

I wish I had an error number or message so I could check why but... nothing!

Going to try as the local admin account and see what happens.

Edit:

Checked event viewer and this is the message: Package KB3081424 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x80070020.

Edit2:

Local admin account gets the same problem.

163 people liked this

Abuse history

MichaeljTaylor replied on

it fails for me to on both of my pc's I get error 0x80070003 in event viewer.

I also noticed my pinned internet explorer icon is missing from task bar ands when I search for internet explorer it finds nothing.. no internet explorer in all apps either.. I need to browse to internet explorer directory and launch the exe directly. this happened on both pc's also.

not surprised as windows 10 is a POS. good thing I left my production systems at windows 7. and based on my experiences thus far I think I'm done testing this ****.

64 people liked this

Abuse history

I found a solution on another forum.

remove SID's for users that no longer exist in the registry. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

you can check which users don't exist by checking computer management/local users and groups/users.

this worked for me on both of my windows 10 PC's, best to be safe though and backup your registry.

hope this helps.

78 people liked this

Abuse history

BrettDM replied on

I found a solution on another forum.

remove SID's for users that no longer exist in the registry. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

you can check which users don't exist by checking computer management/local users and groups/users.

this worked for me on both of my windows 10 PC's, best to be safe though and backup your registry.

hope this helps.

You sire.. are a godsend.

That worked a treat, I had one profile from before I refreshed win 10 (as i was having an odd profile issue funnily enough). Deleted that and re ran the update. no issues.

27 people liked this

Abuse history

TheAndyMac replied on

Worked for me too. Thanks ... now how get this back to MS to fix in the update and make it easy to find, as took a few searches to find this solution. Maybe something for a fix-it tool to identify and delete old profile mentions in this key?
8 people liked this

Abuse history

patty1955 replied on

I have the same problem and was directed here.

My user accounts are:

Administrator      
DefaultAccount       
patty    

How do I know which is

s-1-5-18 

s-1-5-19

s-1-5-20

S-1-5-21-2563357021-697760277-4273620746-1001

I'm guessing that they correspond to the accounts in computer management/local users and groups/users.

22 people liked this

Abuse history

is that the whole list of SID's from your registry?

if so it looks like your registry doesn't have any "Zombie SID's" since I only see the one user SID (the long SID that ends in 1001)

but to tell which SID's belong to which user you would click on the SID and then on the right side you will see an entry called profileimagepath this will show the path to the user directory for the user account.

don't touch the entries ending in 18 19 and 20 those are used by the system.

but like I said if that is the only SID listed in your registry than unfortunately I don't think this solution will work for you...

when does the update fail?  does it download and try to install then rollback after a reboot? that is what happened in my case and this solution resolved the problem on both of my PC's that had this problem.

I hope you find the right solution for your situation. if I see anything that might be of some help I will post back

good luck

10 people liked this

Abuse history

patty1955 replied on

is that the whole list of SID's from your registry?

but to tell which SID's belong to which user you would click on the SID and then on the right side you will see an entry called profileimagepath this will show the path to the user directory for the user account.

when does the update fail?  does it download and try to install then rollback after a reboot? that is what happened in my case and this solution resolved the problem on both of my PC's that had this problem.

I hope you find the right solution for your situation. if I see anything that might be of some help I will post back

good luck

That the whole list. The profileimagepath is correct, so that's not it. The update fails during the reboot the same as yours. It's frustrating because then in wants to restart again.

Thanks for trying. I'll keep looking.

8 people liked this

Abuse history

I'm not sure this will help but some people seem to have some luck by manually downloading and then running the update..

here are direct links to the cumulative update if you care to try it.

x86

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/crup/2015/08/windows10.0-kb3081424-x86_74cacb95454c2b7160e4652fc3816d5bb57023e8.msu

x64

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/crup/2015/08/windows10.0-kb3081424-x64_166daaea0dfeb06b34f39d7aebf03ff93a7bf99e.msu

17 people liked this

Abuse history

patty1955 replied on

I tried the manual update and got the same message. This time I got to 17%, so that's 2% better than the last time.
7 people liked this

Abuse history