Numlock on at startup

I am replying to the Fix for my problem which did not work..  Thank You

The original InitialKeyboardIndicator string was 2147483648, I changed it to 2, did not work, changed to 80000002, did not work. Both registry changes were suggested by people on the Microsoft Community. Just wish Microsoft would come up with an answer that works.

I have Win 10 Home, downloaded last week. This problem was also on Win 8.1 , my prior OS.

YOUR PROFILE | FAQ

Hello PhilipNielsen,

Your question on Microsoft Community has received a reply from Kiran Kishore.

Title: Numlock on startup using Win 10 Home

Hi Philip,
We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.
I understand that you would like to enable Numlock at the startup. You may enable it by using the registry fix. Follow the below steps.
Note: You must be logged into Windows 10 with a local account and have administrator privileges to update the Windows Registry. If you log in with a Microsoft account, your updates to the registry will not be saved.
  1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
  2. Type regedit in the Open text box and press Enter to open the Windows Registry editor. If a User Account Control dialogue windows opens, click the Yes button to continue.
  3. In the Registry, open the below folders:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
    Control Panel\
    Keyboard\
  4. Within the keyboard folder, there should be a string value named "InitialKeyboardIndicators" with a value of 0, 1, or 2. Below is the explanation of each of these values.
    0 = Num Lock is turned OFF after the logon.
    1 = Disable Num Lock.
    2 = Numlock is turned ON after the logon.
    5. You may change the value accordingly and close the registry editor.
    6. Reboot the computer and check if it helps.
Registry disclaimer
To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.
I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.
Thank you.

Read this reply on Microsoft Community.

--------------------------------------------------

NEXT STEPS*
Was this reply helpful? Give Kiran Kishore some kudos!
[Vote as helpful]

Did Kiran Kishore's reply answer your question? Then let the community know!
[Mark this reply as your answer]

Want to unsubscribe from this thread?
Click here to go to the thread, click on the original post and click Stop emails.

*Sign in required. When you open the thread, you'll see that your action has been automatically recorded.
This mailbox is unattended. Please do not reply to this message. If you feel that you received this email in error you can update your email settings.
Privacy Policy  |   Code of Conduct

Answer
Answer

Hi Philip,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please try the below and check if it helps:

Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => System Settings
Uncheck (Turn on fast startup).

Hope this helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2022 Views 5,186 Applies to: