Icon Label Text Color will NOT change and Drop Shadows will NOT go away!

I have pored over these threads and other forums and done everything that has been suggested to get rid of drop shadows on icon label text and they just keep coming back!

The icon label text is white and I want it to be black. There is no setting anywhere in Windows 10 to change this! In previous versions it was possible to change the background color, even if you are using a picture background, and that color forced the icon label text to be either black or white based on that color. This is not possible in Windows 10. It is only possible to use EITHER a picture or background color, and the colors are VERY limited. And Windows decides for you the label text color.

I am a designer, and I find it important to keep mid grey tones in my background to make it easier to identify color casts in my work. And I want to set an appropriate label color. In this case BLACK with NO DROP SHADOW.

But my background apparently confuses the hell out of Windows 10 when trying to automatically set the label text based on my background. I'm surprised the developers didn't even think about this. There NEEDS TO BE a manual option!

I have noticed that sometimes after booting up everything is fine. This problem is very inconsistent.

However I have noticed that EVERY TIME I use the TaskView (or when I dock app windows at the edge of the screen, which also enables Task View mode) the text will change to white with a drop shadow. Then the only thing to do is to reboot and hope it changes back.

This points to the fact that there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with how this works.

And BTW yes, I have gone to advanced system settings and disabled drop shadow on icon text, and yes, the registry setting "ListviewShadow" is set to zero.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would love this, I work at Web Host Pro and we have light pictures for the company background so the white font is horrible. We need to make the font block with no shadow. Or a dark gray would be really awesome!
I love https://webhost.pro

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

This is an ongoing bug which Microsoft appears to be willfully ignoring. It is definitely consistently Task View which causes the problem. Whenever I use Task View the desktop icon labels get ugly drop shadows. The only way to remove them is to log off and log on again. This issue has been reported ever since Windows 10 was first released! It has totally put me off using Task View. I would rather do without that than put up with these ugly shadows.

I would like to be able to switch off task view so it isn't activated accidentally by eg. snapping windows to the edge of the screen. Anybody with a suggestion of how to do this? 

Otherwise, WHY DOESN'T MICROSOFT FIX THIS BUG??!! How hard can it be?

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same issue too of wanting black text for my desktop icons when I switched a wallpaper that was light. I searched through forums and could not find any solutions to this problem either so I thought I'd post it here. The solution I found that worked best for me is to go into the Ease of Access menu. From there, there's High Contrast Settings, where you can customize the color of the task bar, text color, hyperlink, etc and save as a theme. There's a limited set of colors to choose from but it's working for me so far minus being unable to adjust the task bar color the way I want it. Hope that helps! 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but not a fix for me. I just want Microsoft to pay attention to its users. I'm a designer, and these things matter. If Microsoft is serious about getting designers to use Windows it has to sort this sh tout

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Worked like a charm for me except it changed the taskbar from black to white. Still, at least I can now read the icon texts.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 3,049 Applies to: