How do I get out of tablet mode? Suddenly I have no task bar, no desk top, no start up menu, how do I get these back?

How do I get out of tablet mode? Suddenly I have no task bar, no desk top, no start up menu, how do I get these back?

I am running Windows 10 and suddenly I have no task bar, no desk top no start up menu, nothing but the browser windoes that are open.  I do not recall doing anything to make this happen and I seriously want them back.  I do recall changing something when I was importing some photos and I was trying to make a change to them, I could not as they were suddenly read only files, something I had never encountered.   I thought I was changing my files, not the computer.  That was the last thing I changed, and I had no intention of changing anything on the computer.  Please help and remember I have no start menu, no task bar, no desk top and no wrench.  I have a task manager but it seems to be missing a lot.  Also there is little about windows 10 that is like windows 7, so telling me to find something from windows 7, very likely will not work.   I have either the windows task manager or the lenovo task manager, not sure which and also the chrome task manager.  That is it, everything I have tried thus far (or found instructions for) are for things that are not there.  Is there some way to restore to an earlier time with out the start menu or little acess to the system?  Please can any one help?   

Answer
Answer

Hello Spiffy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you're going through.

Did you tried restating your PC?

Let me confirm that, even if you have enabled Tablet Mode, you can still able to see Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop. I guess the issue might be with something else. First Shutdown your PC completely, wait a moment and then restart it to see if the problem still happens.

If it, then I appreciate if you could send us the screenshot of the screen, which helps us to analyze the issue and help you accordingly. We're ok if you're able to send snap taken from your Phone or Cam, when you're unable to do it from PC.

Before you do that check if any restore points available on your PC to restore your PC to earlier. If an app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

Note: Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

* Press Windows Key + R to open run command. If it is not working, then

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager. Click More details, if it not showing menu.

• Click File > Run New Task

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges       

* Type rstrui and hit Enter key.

* Select Recommended Restore or any other restore point prior to this problem and click Next.

* Follow the instructions to restore your PC to earlier. Now see if everything works fine after this action.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 3,043 Applies to: