Unauthorized account keeps appearing

Since installing Windows 10, an unauthorized account keeps appearing on my PC.   I delete it and it appears again in 12-48 hours.  I'm running ESET antivirus and it is up to date. 
Care to give us more info about this "unauthorized account"?
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It appears under Settings and Other users as John, local account.  It has come back again although I deleted it earlier.   It's like someone else has an account, but I haven't created another account and it's odd that it keeps coming back after I delete it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have a router with wireless from your ISP (which most of us do), I would suggest first accessing your router's setup page (instructions for this can be found at your ISP's website), once you have logged in to your router's setup page, locate the tab/setting that relates to the log in (again, instructions for your particular router can be found on your ISP website), once you reach this point, change the user name and password to something else besides the default values (but make sure to note somewhere what they are!).
Then after you do that, go to the wireless/wifi settings page and change the default SSID to something else other than the default, change the wifi password to something else (note the password so that you can use it for your own devices that connect to your wifi network), make sure you apply all these setting changes as you change them, then, before you close out your router settings page, reboot your router from it's settings page. After your router has finished rebooting, you can close your web browser, At this point, you can go back and delete the offending user account again. After you delete the account, reboot your computer to make sure it is flushed. Let us know how it ends up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have a router as you describe.  However, I have 2 laptops, both running Windows 10.  The newer laptop (less than a year old) is the only one with the "John" account on it even though both laptops use the same Microsoft account and password.  If it was a router issue, wouldn't the new account appear on both laptops?  thank you for any suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still having the "John" account show up on my Lenovo laptop.  My HP which is using the same Microsoft account and network doesn't have this problem.  Last week, I was using a different network (a friend's house) and the "John" account appeared, so I assume there is something on my laptop.   I delete the account, put the laptop in sleep mode and when I come back, the account is back.  I've no idea what to do.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same issue, except that my unexpected guest is named Millicent and she won't go away permanently.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here. My Unauthorized User goes by the name "Mike."  Never had this issue before Windows 10 threw me for a loop.  I keep deleting Mike and he keeps reappearing.  This is a major concern for me.  I cannot find any clear answers to solve the issue. These Windows 10 privacy and safety concerns have got me thinking bout switching to a Mac. Windows 10 is just too sketchy for me.  I'm SO over it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! it's not a real problem actually! only user's using eset antivirus faced this issue. Eset anti-theft creates that local account! thats not a problem, but if it bothers you, you can easily disable it from eset setting and get rid of that account! but i don't really recommend it! :)

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 2,563 Applies to: