Password won't work

Dear,

Recently I installed windows 10 on my Sony Vaio laptop.

Everything was working fine, update went great.

The morning after I tried to login, but Windows said my password wasn't correct.

I'm sure I typed it right, but it kept saying "wrong password".

I then tried to reset the password, and login via another PC into my microsoft account.

This worked fine. Then I tried to login into Windows 10, but it kept saying "wrong password".

Then I thought the problem was maybe my keyboard, tried to enter the password in qwerty and azerty (which didn't work), and I tried to use the keyboard from windows itself, also without result.

Hi Marc,

Try the following steps and let us know if it helps:

1. Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
  2. Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you can’t get there, skip to the next major step.
    1. If you can get to a CMD window, enable the built-in administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
      Note: If this fails, check to see if there is a different language in use and use the correct “Administrator” name from the list here.
    2. Then restart and sign-in as the Administrator account.
    3. Once in the Administrator account, open Regedit and go to the following key:
      HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
    4. Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the desktop.
    5. Then continue with step 4 below.
  3. Use boot media to access the recovery command prompt.
    1. Start Regedit.
    2. Select the HKEY_USERS key.
    3. Click File, Load Hive. and go up in the file system to This PC. Then browse to this file and then click Open:
      C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
    4. When prompted, name it “def”
    5. Select this key:
      HKEY_USERS\def\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
    6. Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the C:\ drive.
  4. Find the subkey under StoredIdentities that matches the name of the Microsoft Account.
  5. Delete the key.
  6. If you loaded the offline registry hive, go back up in the tree on the left and select “def”. Then click File, Unload hive. This option will only be available if “def” is selected.
  7. Restart the PC and test sign-in.
  8. Once done, you may need to Verify the account in Settings, Accounts in order for it to be fully usable in Windows again.
  9. If you used the built-in Administrator account to resolve the issue, please return it to the default disabled state to help keep the customer’s PC secure.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Cheers,
Ben.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not a programmer. any wrong step and then I have a useless computer I hope you guy can find an fix.  I was able to log on during the first authentication. so I would think all  setting are ok. It was during the second authentication witch failed. the second screen that says this will be the last time you will need this password.  thank You

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 1,077 Applies to: