Parental controls in Windows 10?

Hi, I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I would like to setup parental controls for my 7-year-old daughter.

The only option I found for setting up parental controls would require having both me and my daughter log in using MS Accounts, which would require creating a MS Account and an email address for my daughter.

I definitely do not want my daughter to have an email account at this point, as she is not ready for one, and I don't see any reason why she would need her own MS account either. She's certainly not ready to access the Windows Store. Currently, she has a local user account on the computer.

Maintaining an email address and a MS account for a child who is too young to use either doesn't make any sense, and goes against the security principle of least privilege. I simply want to place limits on her use of her user account, such as whitelisting applications/sites and placing time limits. How can I do this without giving her email and MS account access?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My PC is delicately controlled, time limit, internet access, application.. Windows 10 made it so complicated, I will reverse to windows 8.1. Why can't Microsoft let loose? You don't need to start control kids under MS umbrella. That is not the way to win customer...      

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree... this parental control was really nice and easy to use Under Windows 8... It would have been nice to at least be warned before the upgrade that this will change...

560 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I would like to setup parental controls for my 7-year-old daughter.

The only option I found for setting up parental controls would require having both me and my daughter log in using MS Accounts, which would require creating a MS Account and an email address for my daughter.

I definitely do not want my daughter to have an email account at this point, as she is not ready for one, and I don't see any reason why she would need her own MS account either. She's certainly not ready to access the Windows Store. Currently, she has a local user account on the computer.

Maintaining an email address and a MS account for a child who is too young to use either doesn't make any sense, and goes against the security principle of least privilege. I simply want to place limits on her use of her user account, such as whitelisting applications/sites and placing time limits. How can I do this without giving her email and MS account access?

I feel the same way about creating an email address for my 5 year old, so I just used one of my email address instead since she don't have access to it. But I am running into an issue where I can login to her account on my laptop that ran windows 7.1 home but can't login to profile on my desktop that had windows 8.1 pro, it gives me the welcome but then says signing out and goes back to the lock screen. The same happens to the profile that's not under family that has no email address. 

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Me 3 - I had my parental controls, including time limits and curfews, all set for my 16 year old son and now, after the upgrade, they don't seem to applied to his account any more. It looks like I can set him up as a family member but then he loses everything from his current account on the computer. Very frustrating.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree Very frustrating have to do everything all over again should have never switched over to' I am going back to 8.1 , will wait till they fix all these issues

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are also having the same issue. We no longer have control over usage times at all. He can log on way past the cut off and stay on all day. What my husband and I think is most interesting is having to attach a credit card to the account in order to activate and verify our account. No one complained about that here... did anyone else mind doing this or were none of you asked and charged the money?

We will probably ride out the storm because we like the 10 interface so much more than 8.1. I just hope they fix it soon. :o/

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did not go through with registering my kids info with ms.  They just aren't allowed on the pc for now.  Even if I did create one or more accounts, teaching them a password that is secure enough for the Internet is ridiculous.  With local accounts they could just click the little icons they picked and get in.

i don't remember being required to enter a credit card, but it's been a while since i joined my hotmail to my win8.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

how do you do it with the ms account, I found no option what so ever. I am willing to create an account for my son.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They call it "family safety" now, should be readily googlable.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Family Safety" in Windows 10 is serious step backwards compared to previous versions:

1. it requires to give MS your kids PII, which is not safe by default

2. functionality - time limits are dumbed down compared to previous version - no way to set activity hours with pauses, only total daily time

3. The whole feature does not work without "Microsoft accounts" - serious step back in security. In previous versions all parental control features worked with local accounts.

71 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2021 Views 89,445 Applies to: