A black screen and a blinking cursor after the restart Windows 10

After updating system to win 10 and install the drivers for the laptop MSI, i restart computer. Now you can only see a black screen and blinking cursor, also i can't enter to the bios. What should I do?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you receive a black screen error after updating the drivers. We will help you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to the driver conflicts.

I suggest you to plug in an external monitor to the pc and restart the computer to check the status.

If you are able to access the desktop, start the computer in safe mode with the basic graphics card driver and then try to update the graphics card driver.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) 
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Before you update the drivers, please enable the computer to get automatic updates.

Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

(The above links applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help. 

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you upgrade to windows 10 and only get a black screen ...  I had three computers with this issue and spent 5 hours on it including 1 hour with Microsoft. They accidently fixed it enough for me to figure out the real problem. Windows 10 was treating our single screen computers as if they had dual monitors - the black screen was the other monitor. So ultimately, we were eventually able to right click on the screen and bring up display settings and delete the extra (nonexistant monitor). Our dual monitor computer also had a similiar problem reading three screens instead of two and again we went into the display settings and deleted the "nonexistent monitor"  

if you mouse is not showing on the black screen try scrolling right or left the length of a "monitor"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Every person I spoke to on customer support told me no one else was having this issue. Funny how they can say that with a thread so large. But this also did not solve it but thank you for the suggestion. Funny how the community is more involved in fixing these windows 10 issues than Microsoft .

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok folks, Im hoping we have a few dozen high tech geniuses on board to assist me with my blinking cursor issue and I have many legal files that need to be obtained.

I placed computer on sleep last nite, low and behold there was an MS 10 update last nite and this morning the Pavillion DV 7 wont boot into Windows.  Called MS and they are clueless, told me to take it in to a customer service store and have them ascertain the issue however this issue has happened twice before whereby I had to reload Windows 7 and start fresh, I had backed everything up prior to the hard drive being wiped.

Can anyone tell me what the issues are with Windows 10 that are causing this very problematic issue.  I am considering filing a lawsuit if I am unable to recover the documents.  Ctrl-Alt-Del only reloads to the blinking cursor or with esc button to a f1 f2 f9 f10 f11 and Enter.  Enter takes me to a grey screen and wont load Windows, cannot restore either, boot device is useless as is reverting back to old bios, that leaves system recovery which doesn't reboot either so there is obviously a major virus in the new 10 software. Thus I will WARN EVERYONE, DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 IT HAS CAUSED ME TO LOSE INFORMATION AND THE INABILITY TO BOOT UP INTO WINDOWS THREE TIMES.  DO NOT UPLOAD WINDOWS 10!!!  CUSTOMER SERVICE REFUSES TO SEND A REPAIR DISK AND WILL NOT ADMIT THEY KNOW THERE IS A MAJOR BUG AFFECTING MANY COMPUTERS.  IN ADDITION, MY COMPUTER IS SET TO PREVENTING UPGRADES BECAUS'E OF THIS ISSUE AND IT UPGRADED ANYWAY WHILE IT WAS ASLEEP AT NITE.  I WILL BE BEHOLDIN TO ANYONE WITH A GENUINE FIX FOR THIS ISSUE!!!

THANKS TO ALL AND HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, sorry for the capitals I am beyond pissed off.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2020 Views 2,302 Applies to: