Appdata/Local/Temp filled quicky by a process replicating himself every 4 minutes

Hi everyone !

I have a problem very close to the one described there :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/dismhostexe-recreating-itself-every-few-minutes-in/c9264db5-1e8d-4153-a59c-0790fe3cb8a5?auth=1

Except I run windows 10, and I wasn't able to solve it the way Wonderous did.

My system drive fills up quickly, and I have identified that my AppData/Local/Temp folder is the one inflating.

When the PC is idle, one folder with random name (GUID ?) appears every 4 minutes. Each folder is identical and contains a separate instance of Dism Host Servicing process which I can see is running in the task manager. If I let the folder grows, it can mount to several gigs a week, plus it is long to erase because lot of small files (.dll mostly).

Wonderous made the link with Windows Defender auto clean process. Indeed, going into the task sheduler I can see that the tasks related to Windows Defender are in error. Even by running them manually (successfully), or deactivate them, the Dism process continues to replicate when the PC is idle.

I am stuck... any ideas ??

Answer
Answer

Hi everyone,

Now I've got another one ...

very similar problem except the random folders are created less regularly (but still very often), are in Windows/Temp, and contains 2 dll files:

- MPGEAR.DLL

- MPENGINE.DLL

Can fill up the drive quite quickly, and annoying to remove when there is plenty folders.

This time it looks like the automatic tasks of Windows Defender are to blame. Thus I got to task planner, windows, Windows Defender, and I deactivate everything just like I did for Silentcleanup in DiskCleanup.

It looks the automatic maintenance tasks of Windows are very buggy. Such a shame !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 531 Applies to: