Error opening Help in Windows-based programs on Windows 10

Error opening help in windows-based programs after upgrading to Windows 10 64 bit. There was a fix for earlier windows OS (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/917607). 

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• Do you get any error message?

I would like to inform you that the link which you provided contains fix for Windows 8.1 and might not work for Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform SFC Scan and check.

1. From Start screen, type Command prompt.
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
  3. Now in the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow (note, there is a space between sfc and /scannow).

Refer to this article: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

this was a problem in windows 8.1 now the same freaking problem in windows 10, can't believe i have to explain this but, we where able to download something that would fix this but none for windows 10 yet. Here is the link, just surprise this wasn't fixed in the new windows but oh well, will just have to wait for a fix.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You would think by this time Microsoft would have a checklist for what an OS needs to be able to handle and make sure that a new OS actually does handle it before distribution to the public.  You would also think that if you told a Microsoft tech engineer that you need a "winhlp.exe" file for Windows 10 they would immediately understand that. 

So, just in case they still don't get it, when attempting to open a help file in Windows-based programs while running Windows 10, the action of opening the help file immediately defaults to the completely useless page:

Error opening Help in Windows-based programs: "Feature not included" or "Help not supported"

which does not contain anything to help with or fix the problem.

Oh, and how would you get a "Windows Installation DVD" (which the tech suggests might be needed) if the entire process to "upgrade" to Windows 10 was done via the internet? 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You would think by this time Microsoft would have a checklist for what an OS needs to be able to handle and make sure that a new OS actually does handle it before distribution to the public.  You would also think that if you told a Microsoft tech engineer that you need a "winhlp.exe" file for Windows 10 they would immediately understand that. 

So, just in case they still don't get it, when attempting to open a help file in Windows-based programs while running Windows 10, the action of opening the help file immediately defaults to the completely useless page:

Error opening Help in Windows-based programs: "Feature not included" or "Help not supported"

which does not contain anything to help with or fix the problem.

Oh, and how would you get a "Windows Installation DVD" (which the tech suggests might be needed) if the entire process to "upgrade" to Windows 10 was done via the internet? 

Jack you said it very well. However, It is clear Microsoft doesn't what to support this program anymore. And hasn't wished to do so since Vista came out. It is the reason people are moving away from Microsoft to other systems. They Microsoft decide what they want to do and only when there are enough complaints do they modify their position. I have made my decision several months ago. The next system I spend money on will not be a Microsoft based system. I am 67 now and after 30 years of these continuing issues I think Apple will get my business in the future. I will not play this game with Microsoft again. It is not fun!!!!!!!!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• Do you get any error message?

I would like to inform you that the link which you provided contains fix for Windows 8.1 and might not work for Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform SFC Scan and check.

1. From Start screen, type Command prompt.
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
  3. Now in the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow (note, there is a space between sfc and /scannow).

Refer to this article: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Dear Prabhavathi Patil:

I tried the System File Checker and it was not helpful.

Is there a way to use the Win 8.1 Help file update (Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.msu) for Win10?

Any way to have this file be run in compatibility mode?

Thank you,

edsager

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

I too had this SAME problem with Windows 10 (64bit). I was using an OLD (Windows XP MIDI Program called "PowerTracks Pro Audio") and tried to use it's "HELP" file. That's where the problem started. I found a LINK (DUMMY ME ERASED IT - OR ELSE I'D POST IT HERE) for a ZIP File called "winhlp32-windows-7-x86-x64-komeil.cab" (you might try Googling it) that contains 3 files. They are called:

1. Install.cmd

2. winhlp32.exe (Win 7 Version)

3. winhlp32.exe.mui (Win 7 Version)

There are 4 lines of text that MUST BE INSERTED into the "Install.cmd" file (which I will list below). THIS FILE NEEDS TO BE RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR IN ORDER TO WORK!!! Once the program has run it should fix your problem with the HELP FILES! Here is a listing of the ACTUAL "Install.cmd" file: Under the SETTINGS you should see the following (IF NOT, CHANGE THIS TO THE LINES BELOW):

set MuiFileName=winhlp32.exe.mui

set ExeFileName=winhlp32.exe

set WindowsVersion=7

goto :BypassVersionError

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Joe S.

P.S. I just tried the GOOGLE SEARCH for the filename "winhlp32-windows-7-x86-x64-komeil.cab" and it worked.

Here is the link I erased (like a dummy): 

Windows 10 HELP FILE Fixer

Now just go there and download the file for yourself and run it... Take care...

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

I too had this SAME problem with Windows 10 (64bit). I was using an OLD (Windows XP MIDI Program called "PowerTracks Pro Audio") and tried to use it's "HELP" file. That's where the problem started. I found a LINK (DUMMY ME ERASED IT - OR ELSE I'D POST IT HERE) for a ZIP File called "winhlp32-windows-7-x86-x64-komeil.cab" (you might try Googling it) that contains 3 files. They are called:

1. Install.cmd

2. winhlp32.exe (Win 7 Version)

3. winhlp32.exe.mui (Win 7 Version)

MUCH better reply than the form answer from Microsoft. I used to work for their help desk when in Spokane, WA, USA (remember when MS used to have workers in the US?) and the support has gone downhill since they moved to another country. You get better answers from the community (or a bot!) - which is why Linux, that has a vast community may be a better choice now. Checking that you have files (that shouldn't exist in the first place because they are never installed), doesn't help, Prabhavathi Patil.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you get this to work with Windows 10 x64?

The code clearly :goto :BypassVersionError which jumps to a message saying "Run on Windows 7 ya eejit"  (or summat like that) and then skips to EOF and nothing gets installed.

Using the Install.cmd that comes in the .cab, will only work on Windows 7.

I must be tired or having a brainfart but please, how did you get this to work? I found my Rebirth 2.0 CD and I want to play..! ;)

Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2024 Views 7,831 Applies to: