D drive low disk space notification

I Installed a 240GB SSD in my laptop, I love it. However while using the cloning software (Acronis) It only left 5mb spare room on my partition, So I constantly get a low disk space warning. I don't want the notification anymore. There is nothing I can do at this point to make room, It is only my recovery files and nothing else so I'm definitely not deleting any of it. I'm running Windows 10 pro, which I love btw and I'm trying to figure out how to turn this notification off for the D: drive only. Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Devin,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To disable these balloon messages follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows Key + R to bring the Run box, type regedit and hit Enter.

2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

3. Right-click in the blank area of the right-hand pane of the Registry Editor and create a new DWORD Value by selecting New -> DWORD Value.

4. Name this new DWORD Value NoLowDiscSpaceChecks

5. Double-click on the new DWORD value and assign it a value of 1.

6. Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This DOES NOT work in Windows 10.  

My Recovery Drive is D: and I filled the remaining open space beyond the recovery files with some other stuff.  I did this on purpose. Now Windows is giving me this notice every five minutes. I do not like it. I want the notifications to stop and I do not want to delete my files to make space. I filled the drive up completely for a reason.

I have searched all over the internet for a resolution for this and am getting the same thing. I tried it 5 times and it still will not resolve the problem. I appreciate that Windows has notification for people who are not trying to run out of space on the disk, but for those of us who are. How about a function or a check box so we can turn the darn alert notification OFF?

Any Help Here?

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Niranjan

Is this edit applicable to 64bit machines?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This DOES NOT work in Windows 10.  

My Recovery Drive is D: and I filled the remaining open space beyond the recovery files with some other stuff.  I did this on purpose. Now Windows is giving me this notice every five minutes. I do not like it. I want the notifications to stop and I do not want to delete my files to make space. I filled the drive up completely for a reason.

I have searched all over the internet for a resolution for this and am getting the same thing. I tried it 5 times and it still will not resolve the problem. I appreciate that Windows has notification for people who are not trying to run out of space on the disk, but for those of us who are. How about a function or a check box so we can turn the darn alert notification OFF?

Any Help Here?

I have the same EXACT issue and can confirm that the registry edit does NOT work in Windows 10.  The low disc space notification every 5 minutes is very annoying.  There has to be a way to turn it off.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not the solution ... but ... when the message comes up... just reduce it.  I suspect that Windows 10 will learn to ignore it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I may have found the solution to this problem.  When the low disc space message appears, open the Action Center (last icon in the taskbar next to the clock).  Right click on the low disc space notification and you can click "hide notifications from this app."  I just did this and now I'm waiting to see if I get the pop-up again.  Fingers crossed that this will solve the problem.

164 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

THANK YOU.........  DavidO_9!!!!!!!!

This notification is so annoying. It wasn't like we did not know that the drive was low on space, especially in my case when I deliberately filled the drive up. I can't thank you enough. I am sure others will be thanking you also. 

The Moderators of this forum should refer everyone with this issue to your post if they are smart. Windows 10 is a different animal here.  None of the old tricks are seeming to work anymore.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome.  I tried this early this morning and it seems to have worked as I did not get the pop-up all day where I was getting it every 5-10 minutes on my full recovery partition.  I have to say that other than this issue, I really do like Windows 10 and I'm going to install it on my full-time laptop now that it's running smooth on my older one I was testing it out on.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you try this on Windows 10, Niranjan? It doesn't work...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No! If you look at EVERY post reply from Support on here. It is Always a copy and paste from a previous Windows OS like they never even tried to do the work on Windows 10 themselves. The thing is. NOTHING from the previous Windows OS's works with 10 and it seems that only "We" the end user are the ones that have to figure it out and let them know the answers.  Hmmmmmmmm

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 28, 2023 Views 30,665 Applies to: