KB 3189866

This upd makes all mapped drives completely unavailable. Any fix?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I do not know a fix but consider reporting the problem.

You can provide feedback by clicking No (bottom of page in link below) and explaining your problem. You will receive an acknowledgement but no reply.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3189866

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. Done!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bjorn

Where are the mapped drives located in relation to the computer? Are the drives shared with another computer? In other words what hurdles does your computer have to negotiate to access the networked drive? The update could have changed an existing setting to a default setting.

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type msinfo32 and click OK . Place the cursor on System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same problem.  After installing kb3189866.  Cannot reconnect at logon error.  
After disconnecting the drives, cannot map to them anymore, get 'The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:  A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.'

Trying to connect to a WD My Book World drive.  Did a system restore to before the installation of  kb3189866 and the other updates that came out on tuesday, and all my networked drives were properly mapped.  Just installed  kb3189866 by itself without the other updates, and the problem reappeared.

Out of 3 systems, 2 of them experience this problem, a desktop and a laptop.  1 desktop did not develop this problem.  Only major difference that I can see between these systems is the one that had no problems was using a local account, the 2 that failed were MS accounts for logon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not having that issue but that update got rid of all my favorites and now Edge freezes up a lot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry

Thank you for your swift response. In the meantime, I have, however, decided to hide and uninstall this KB, even though I reckon it may be an important security update.

Why do I do it this way? On our LAN there are 10 machines running Win 10 with AU. Gradually, the problematic KB is invading all of them, whether I want it to happen or not. I depend very much on mapped drives, residing on all machines, connected to two file servers, all units on the same LAN, and there I place every single document, all daily backups etc. etc. It cannot be more important than this, that I can access my mapped drives at any time.

With my approach, the mapped drive issue is "solved" for the time being. This problem is solely provoked by Microsoft. I have not given MS any consent to manipulate my personal settings. I want to manage these settings by myself. Period.

So, I will await for the next cumulative update to appear, and hopefully resolve the issue without having to do a lot of exercising and tinkering, no matter how helpful any voulonteer might be. Thank you Gerry for your offer, but I would rather adress this issue directly to MS if I could. Maybe someone with the right channels could assist? MS have messed up my machines, and they are obliged to repair.

There WAS a time, when Windows users could decide for themselves on these matters ...

Regards,

Bjørn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Followed your lead BjornBr and removed  kb3189866 from my laptop for now.  Hopefully they can figure this out and fix it.  Problem is that the majority of people do not have mapped drives so there is probably now many people reporting problems with this update unfortunately.  You and I and people like us are probably out of luck for any quick fix from MS about this.  

By any chance are your machines using MS accounts for login.  As per my post above, out of the 3 machines that I have, the one with local login was not affected by this update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mike

Yes, all our machines use MS accounts for logins. We'll just have to wait and see what happens around the next corner. Maybe there is a guardian angel, after all, somewhere?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, decided to try something on my laptop.  As above, I removed kb3189866 and was able to map to my drives.

So I decided to try something.  I changed my logon to use a local logon and not an MS account login.  I then reinstalled kb3189866 and all is working with my mapped drives.  Seems like it may have some thing to do with how you login.  Not sure what happens if using a MS account to login, but somehow that is being broken by the update pertaining to mapped drives.

Hope this observation can lead some of the experts to come up with a solution to this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mike

Seems like it may have some thing to do with how you login.

There are currently a lot of problems flowing from passwords to Microsoft Accounts not being recognised. Logging into computers, accessing these forums, accessing certain parts of Microsoft sites require logging in, accessing OneDrive etc., are examples. Two workarounds exist, namely running Internet Explorer using Run as Administrator or In Private Browsing. I suspect that neither workaround is suitable to use to resolve the mapped drive problem.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2018 Views 366 Applies to: