Synaptics Touchpad on HP G72 and Windows 10

9/10/15-I have been trying out Windows 10 on my old HP G72 laptop for a week. I am thinking of reverting to Windows 7 due to touchpad problems. I am having different issues with my touchpad than others it seems and I can't find any answers on how to fix it. It is the only issue that I dislike with Windows 10, but it bothers me enough that I will do without rather than continue to fight with it.

After I downloaded Windows 10, the first thing I noticed was that the scroll feature went from me sliding my index finger on my right hand down the right side of the touchpad, to having to use two fingers in the middle and scroll in the opposite direction. While I could get used to this, if it worked right, the problem is, it doesn't. It's sort of hit or miss. It will work for a few strokes, then stop or I will have to keep moving my fingers to the left or the pointer will go to the top of the page and I have to drag it back down. I finally gave up and am using the up and down buttons on the keyboard as much as possible. Even when I try to drag the scroll bar on a page, it will start moving down and then suddenly just race to the bottom of the page. Does the same if I use the up/down arrows for the scroll bar.

Next, I found out quite accidentally, that I now have a pinch and zoom feature. That's great except it does it whenever it wants to, usually when I am scrolling, but also when I switch back and forth between windows or emails. What is even more maddening, is that I might barely touch the pad or I am just trying to move the pointer with one finger and suddenly all the icons on my desktop are huge. Then, when I try to make them smaller, they separate into groups of 4 or 6 all over the place. Then I have to right click and ask the computer to sort them by name. Then I have to rearrange them back into the order I want them manually. It's done this to me three times and it's driving me crazy. I have tried changing the settings and it doesn't work. And as others have stated, once you turn off your computer, it just goes back the way it was, but it also doesn't change anything as I continue to use it after I've hit apply.

Another thing it keeps doing is bringing up tiny versions of all the windows I have open. I may just be reading something and not even moving my hands, but suddenly a bunch of tiny windows are on the screen and I have to click on the one I was reading to get back to it. The touchpad, in other words, seems to have a mind of it's own. I think that since my touchpad wasn't originally set up to work like this, it may be having some sort of allergic reaction to Windows 10 and just simply can't do what is now being asked of it.

If it wasn't for this annoying problem, I would love the new Windows. But this touchpad thing is just too much. Does anyone know what is going on? Is this typical for a new release? Is it fixable? Do I just wait until there's an update and hope I don't beat my touchpad with a hammer in the meantime? Cause, seriously, it's making me pull my hair out. If it isn't fixed soon, it's back to the old Windows 7 for me.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

hi, I just faced the same problems with my G72 (120SG). I installed the latest driver from Synaptics (Vers. 19.0.19.1 for PS2) and this now works pretty well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your help. I found the driver, downloaded and installed it. So far, I noticed that the touchpad is now even more sensitive and unpredictable than it was previously. Next, the little red light in the top left corner of the touchpad is on. In all the time I have had this laptop, I have never seen that light turn on. According to what I can find online, it supposedly means the touchpad is locked, but the touchpad is working, it's just working a little weirder than it did before I tried the new driver. I'll keep putzing with it. If I cannot find an adequate solution by next weekend, I am just going to go back to the old windows. The more things I keep downloading to fix the problems, the slower my computer seems to be running. But, thank you again for the suggestion. I will try going into the settings now and see if I can tone down the sensitivity so things will stop jumping around.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLUTION:

Copy on Notepad the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Synaptics \ SynTP \ Install]
"DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" = dword: 00000000

Then save with the name you want.
Then change the file extension from "txt" to "reg"

Then double click on the file created.
Authorizing changes in the PC.
Restart the PC.

Make the changes you want in the "Control Panel" then "Mouse", and then Synaptics.

Ready!!!

If you liked the comment, mark as "best answer".
Best regards my friends!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I messed around with the settings in the new driver I downloaded and it is now working more like it used to. For the rest of the week I am going to see how it goes. If it starts acting odd again, I will try your suggestion. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 23, 2020 Views 1,215 Applies to: