Nvidia GTX 960m drivers problems on Windows 10

I have recently bought a new Lenovo Y50-70, with an Intel HD 4600 Graphics chipset and a Nvidia GTX 960m graphics card. I upgraded the hard disk to a new Samsung SSD.  I was having this problem after trying to play a game: the screen froze and there was a strange sound. After that a blue screen with the error, Video_Tdr_Failure. After that, every time I tried to use the laptop for video or anything video related where my Nvidia Graphics Card was involved, the same blue screen occurred. After a while a different blue screen with the error Thread_Exception_Not_Handled.  After various attempts, uninstalling and installing the Nvidia drivers in safe mode and scanning for viruses in Bitdefender's Rescue Mode, I noticed that my Laptop had the option to use either Switchable Graphics (default option) or UMA graphics (Intel chipset on the processor). Note that the computer is running Windows 10 and this problem didn't occur on the previous version of Windows (w8) when I first bought it. Now, while on switchable graphics I uninstalled the Nvidia driver from device manager in normal start up mode, and then when I tried to search for any changes in hardware so that I could re-install it nothing happened. After that, when I try to boot my pc on switchable graphics, the error Dpc_Watchdog_Violation appeares on a blue screen (because a driver is missing) and the computer won't boot up. The computer can only normally boot up when using the Uma graphics option.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are getting Blue Screen error while playing videos or games. I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Outdated driver.

2. Missing Updates.

Try the steps listed here: 

Method 1:
I suggest you to download and install all the available Windows update and check if it helps.

Method 2:
I see that you have tried re-installing the drivers. However if you have not tried uninstalling the display driver and installing the latest version of display driver from the computer manufacturer website, you may try the same. Check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall the sound driver.

a. Press Windows Key + X and then click Device Manger.

b. Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers”.
c. Right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device and select ‘uninstall’.
d. Follow the prompt and restart the computer.

Step 2:

As Windows 10 drivers are not available, I suggest you to install latest display from computer manufacturer website in driver in compatibility mode.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers  

To install the display driver in compatibility mode, I would suggest you to follow these steps:

a. Download the latest display driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.
b. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.
c. Select “Compatibility” Tab.
d. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select latest Windows version from the drop down list.
e. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So i tried updating windows and installing the nvidia driver in compatibility mode. There were no changes as the driver was the one i had already installed and there was no available windows 10 update. So i couldn't see any other choice but reseting the pc. I tried keeping my files but the installstion stuck due to the video card problem so nothing happened. Then i tried erasing everything thinking that this would erase tne drivers and with them the problems. However, an error occurred, another blue screen due to the graphics card. The computer wouldn't boot up at all and the installation kept failing and there was notning that could fix it. So i tried the one and only solution. I formated the pc and reinstalled W10. There were some improvements there as the computer now boots up with switchable graphics and there is no blue screen errors. However, after a minute or two of starting up, there comes a message that the video deiver failed and was recovered. After a few seconds the screen freezes and i have to manually shut down the system. Therefore i am thinking that the initial problem was more of a driver compatibility with windows 10 problem rather than a missing driver or a damaged one. Any ideas of what i could do now?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi there

i had similar problems with my new DELL XPS 15 (9550).  I had to disable the dedicated NVIDIA GTX 960M, because my screen always went black after 5 minutes. i installed all the new drivers (yes, also from the NVIDIA site), including the integrated Intel HD Graphics 530. My screen produces fine black lines in the lower half, which disappear after a second. This indicates the looming black screen. It takes about 2-3 minutes and then the entire screen goes black. I somehow have the feeling that everything stops. The music stops as well. But you can clearly hear the laptop churning. My only viable option is to force my laptop to shutdown.

I have already made a clean install. I updated all the drivers, including the BIOS firmware update. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro 1511. Any suggestions or ideas?

68 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you disable the GTX 960m? If doing so do you get more battery life out of it?~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've the same Problem with the same Notebook. 

How did you finally proceed? Or is there no side effect, by not using the NVIDIA driver?

Thanks

MIke

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Mike,

There is no side effect other than not using the notebook to its full potential! I actually have contacted my retailer and handed the laptop in for repair. It seemed that it was a software issue, but then they formated the laptop, as I did, and they are sending it back to lenovo for repair. (Assuming hardware issue) Hope they fix the problem or replace the laptop for me. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 with Geforce GTX 960m as well and I am having the same issue with display going black for no reason forcing me to reboot system. I have tried drivers and nothing seems to be working. Whenever I run mem tests on the gpu they either won't run or give me back errors. I assume I have a bad gpu card (memory crash - hardware) so I've requested a replacement from retailer. Hope I get this fixed. I guess this is a mather of luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same notebook and same problem, please tell did Dell replace/fix it on yours notebook?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Evripides,

I have exactly the same problem with you in the same notebook how did you proceed to solve it?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To better assist you, we would like to know what exactly is happening on your notebook.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 17,514 Applies to: