My IPOD Nano won't sync with windows 10.

My IPOD Nano won't sync with windows 10. The error message displayed reads - "An IPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the IPod, then try again. If the problem persists, uninstall ITunes, then install ITunes again."  I did that along with changing the cable - receive the same message!  Also checked for the latest drivers and ran diagnostic - computer determines latest drivers and the device working properly.  However, when I plug the device in two (2) IPods' drives appear. When I had windows 8 - one IPOD one drive.  Any thoughts - thank you in advance. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for writing in Microsoft Communities.

Based on the issue description, it appears that you’re unable to sync iPod nano on Windows 10.

I would prefer to ask you does the device get detected in Device Manager?

Please go ahead and follow the methods mentioned and later update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1: If you are not able to recognize the device then run the hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.
Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

1. Press the Windows + X key’
  2. Select ‘Control Panel’ and type ‘Troubleshooting’ and select ‘troubleshooting’.
  3. Click on ‘View all’ on the left pane and select ‘Hardware and Devices’ and click on next to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: If the issue persists then I would suggest you to uninstall any older version of iTunes present on the computer and then download and install the latest version of iTunes in compatibility mode then check if the issue persists. 

For the best assistance you may get in touch with Apple community or support website on the issue:
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/.

Keep us posted for any further queries. We are glad to help you. 

Thank you
Sachin.V
Microsoft Community

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My I Pod Nano will not sync or play since I downloaded windows 10 pro

please advise

334 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Milton,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What exactly happens when you try to sync?

• Are you getting any error message?

• Does the device get detected in Device Manager?

Make sure your security software isn't blocking the connection. Try temporarily disabling any 3rd Party security software to test. 

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Refer to the link below for more reference.

iTunes 11 for Windows: Sync contacts, calendars, and other info with iPod, iPhone, or iPad

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12317?locale=en_US

Syncing & Transferring Content:

https://www.apple.com/in/support/itunes/syncing/

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My IPOD Nano won't sync with windows 10. The error message displayed reads - "An IPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the IPod, then try again. If the problem persists, uninstall ITunes, then install ITunes again."  I did that along with changing the cable - receive the same message!  Also checked for the latest drivers and ran diagnostic - computer determines latest drivers and the device working properly.  However, when I plug the device in two (2) IPods' drives appear. When I had windows 8 - one IPOD one drive.  Any thoughts - thank you in advance. 

I am having the same problem too.  I am currently running Asus Rog G752 Laptop with Windows 10 home.  I was able to sync and use my 6th Gen Ipod Nano 16GB on Itunes perfectly fine about 2 weeks ago, but today I keep getting that same error message mentioned by @RonMcC.  I have tried all the troubleshooting steps on Apple's support page including updating the drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling itunes, rebooting pc, turning off security, updating windows, restarting driver services, plugging the usb cord into all the different usb ports, trying 2 different usb cables, everything.  Please help, this is very frustrating!

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem too.  I am currently running Asus Rog G752 Laptop with Windows 10 home.  I was able to sync and use my 6th Gen Ipod Nano 16GB on Itunes perfectly fine about 2 weeks ago, but today I keep getting that same error message mentioned by @RonMcC.  I have tried all the troubleshooting steps on Apple's support page including updating the drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling itunes, rebooting pc, turning off security, updating windows, restarting driver services, plugging the usb cord into all the different usb ports, trying 2 different usb cables, everything.  Please help, this is very frustrating!

I am having the exact same issue.  what happened?????

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same error message when attempting to sync a recently purchased iPod Nano to my PC (Windows 10)  i.e. "An Ipod has been detected but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod then try again." I have followed these instructions, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Itunes, I have tried a different USB connector all to no avail.

My PC does recognise that I have my iPod nano connected.

How do I solve this problem?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh wonderful....sounds like no one has solved this problem??

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  I have an iPod Gen 1 that still worked and could sink on my older laptop with XP, but can't on Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3.  At first I thought it was the tablet, but maybe it's a Windows 10 problem.  Whatever the case, someone needs to tell us how to fix this problem.  I can't find a solution anywhere on the internet thus far.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is definitely a Windows 10 problem. I had same problem with an iPod Nano purchased last month. Tried all the Apple & Microsoft troubleshooting steps with no success on 2 different laptops running Windows 10. Then I installed Windows 7 in dual boot on a Windows 10 laptop and installed iTunes on Windows 7 and... IT WORKS! The more it goes, the more I think Windows 10 is a beta product released to millions of people to be tested and the real final version is yet to come. I'll keep Windows 7 in dual boot to solve other issues I have with Windows 10 like Wi-Fi connection not working in half the sessions I start.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I fixed it on my computer

I had this problem too.

Running Windows 10 Pro on Surface Pro 3 - latest version of iTunes - iPod Nano 6th generation

I tried everything I could find to fix it. I repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes to no avail. I found and followed the steps from Apple more than once adding device drivers per instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204095

It still did not work as I kept getting the same error every time I opened iTunes. Each time iTunes opened, I notice my device would somehow become unknown again and unplugged from the computer.

So for the final time I closed iTunes, did the process to add the driver, added it successfully then opened the iPod listed in my This PC folder hoping maybe I could manually manage the songs/audiobooks. Sadly, whatever Apple programmed in the device makes this impossible as one can't simply find mp3s that way. So I disconnected my iPod (and did not open iTunes anymore with it connected since I noticed it immediately would eject the iPod from my computer)

I gave up on trying believing that my iPod Nano would never work with Windows 10 :(

Then a few weeks later, I accidentally found something.

In Services, there was a service called iPod Service - it was set to manual startup type and not running. I right clicked it, clicked start and the iPod service started running. ...here's hoping... Next I plugged in my iPod Nano, started iTunes and like magic! No error, my iPod appeared as a device and syncs fine.

Here is how I found the iPod Service

Hover over the Task Bar (usually at the bottom of the screen)...It's the one with the Windows icon, date & time (Hover over an unused area of the taskbar and not a program that is open/pinned (Image Below)

Right click on the Task Bar
Click "Task Manager"
The Task Manager window should open, Click on the "Services" Tab
Right click on any Service name you see in the left column (It doesn't matter which one)
Click "Open Services"
There You have opened services and can find the "iPod Service"
Right click "iPod Service" and click "Start"
(You can also right click "iPod Service" and click Properties to open Properties and change "startup type" to automatic instead of manual so it starts when Windows starts without you ever having to find it again)

Hope this helps.

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 30,239 Applies to: