Windows 10 file explorer always scans a ts file on right click, why?

I edit a lot of .ts (transport stream) files recorded from a PVR.

Under Windows 7 this was not a problem and I had no problems copying and pasting a file from one folder to another. However under Windows 10 this has become a time waster.

Every time I right click a file to open the pop up menu to copy a file, file explorer seems to want to scan the complete file for 'something' but I don't know what. Even small files of under 1GB can take some time to scan and a big file if 3 to 4 GB can take over 10 min to scan. While scanning file explorer reports it is 'none responsive' and just stops working.

At first this happened even when I tried to open a folder with a large number of .ts files in it but I did manage to fix that by this registry edit;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

New -> String Value "FolderType " -> Data "NotSpecified "

I have also tried this registry change to try and stop the file scanning but it does not seem to work for Windows 10;

Rename temporarily the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.ts

Is there any way I can stop file explorer scanning .ts files please and before you ask this ‘feature’ is also on all our computers both laptop and tower and it  also does the same when trying to copy a .ts file over the home network.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform the below method and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run SFC Scan

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Method 2: Search and Indexing Troubleshooter

Please run the built in “Search and indexing troubleshooter” and see if it resolves the issue. Please follow the steps provided to do the same.

1. Press “Windows key + X”.
  2. Click “Control Panel”.
  3. In the search box, type “troubleshooter”, and then click “Troubleshooting”.
  4. Click “View all”, and then click “Search and Indexing”.

Method 3: Rebuild Indexing

If the issue persists you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt. Follow the steps below to rebuild index -

1. Press Windows      key + X.
  2. Click Control Panel.
  3. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.     

Additional Info:

How to work with files and folders

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

Check if it helps.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Where did you get the idea to edit [HKCU...AllFolders]?  The registry entries under Bags only govern folder views, and AllFolders now seems to be used for remembering the TopVIew of Libraries (right-click -> Arrange by).  I only ask this because I'm exploring all the subtleties of saved views.

Your problem is most likely an ill-behaved Shell Extension.  First step to determine this is to see if File Explorer is better behaved in Safe Mode.

A lot of people seem to like ShellExView for this purpose.

While checking the .ts property sheet handler was a good start, it could be a context menu handler or an extension designed to scan all files (e.g. an Antivirus program).

Good Luck,

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply unfortunately none of your suggestion are relevant to the problem, if you read my original question you will notice this ‘feature’ is working on a number of computers. I (we if you include my son), have tested this on an HP Laptop, and 2 high end game and video editing towers also a 32bit Asus T100 transformer with a clean install of Windows 10 also a Dell laptop with a clean install Windows 10 64bit.

Some of the machines were upgrades to Windows 7, some with Windows 8.1 and some a clean installs and all exhibit the same annoying long delay in file explorer when right clicking a .ts file.

I did a stopwatch check on a 1.8GB .ts file this evening and it took 7min 16 sec from right click to popup menu with file explorer completely stalled while waiting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I am aware this registry change alters the Folder View, this was made to make all folders take the ‘General Items’ view to stop file explorer spending ages trying to scan every .ts file in the folder when first opened.

On one drive alone I have 170 .ts files waiting to be copied from external USB3 drive into the tower ready to be edited. When Windows 7 was installed it was a simple matter of open folder, right click the file and copy paste to the editor drive.

Under Windows 10 ‘intelligent’ file explore it would try and make the folder view ‘Videos’ and I would have to change it to ‘General Items’ before opening it or as I said above it would take ages (think it takes 7min 16 sec to open one how long it would take to scan 170) and that’s before I had to right click copy the file(s).

Changing the ‘bags’ forces every folder to ‘General Items’ view and removes the long,  long wait, bit of  sledge hammer approach but when you work with as many files as I do then any fix is a good fix.

By the way indexing is disabled for all partitions and drives and it has made no difference with it on or off, I have also tried thumbnails on and off.  I have also disabled OneDrive as a test on the Windows 10 Pro tower and that made no difference.

Anti virus is also disabled for scanning all .ts files and on any drive or partition used for video editing.

Next step will be testing in safe mode then with everything loadable disabled, funny this was a problem in Vista then vanished in 7 but has come back in 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The fact that I asked about your edit of the AllFolders key should indicate I read your post.  In reading your reply, I don't see where you clearly state that the same behavior was observed in Safe Mode.

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The fact that I asked about your edit of the AllFolders key should indicate I read your post.  In reading your reply, I don't see where you clearly state that the same behavior was observed in Safe Mode.

Keith

Sorry, it’s my first time using the system and I thought it worked like others and the reply would be attached to the person I replied too.

The first reply was to Aswin the Microsoft person and the second was to you, so sorry it didn’t work as I expected. Only the little header at top seems to be the link, I can see it but I don’t know if you can.

I have download your viewer program and had a look will take some time tomorrow to see if I can make head or tail of it. Oh and as yet I haven’t tried safe mode as all the computers are in use. Will try and get something done after a good night sleep, thanks for your help so far. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cool.  Sadly, these forums don't supply a threaded view.  Although posts do have  'X replied to Y' link above them, the only view is linear & chronological.  As I said to someone else on here, I miss Outlook Express & newsgroups.  OE had a collapsible tree view of posts.

Keith.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's an idea of how long ago I was playing with the Bags key & it's subkeys:

Keith+Miller+shell+bags+allfolders

That's why I'm 99.9% sure that folder views aren't causing your issue.

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right people here is an update on the problem and it is a long post so sorry for the waffle but I didn’t want anyone to think I didn’t try to solve the problem.

Today I thought it would be only fair to Microsoft if I started with a clean sheet just in case it was something I installed that was causing the problem. So today I pulled out our spare standby tower, fitted a spare SSD (it needed one anyway) and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro on the SSD.

I used as a base the same 170 .ts files I have been using all along to keep everything on a level playing field. I then ran tests to see what if anything had or had not changed.

Open file explorer and navigate to the folder holding the ts files.
First test check the ‘view’ of the folder holding the ts files, it was set to ‘Video’

Right click and from the context menu select open folder
Folder opens and files appear, immediately the green bar starts to wend its way across the path box towards to small x at the far right.

The closer it got to the x the slower the bar moved until when it reached the x to all intents and purpose it stopped. File explorer displayed the usual ‘Not responding’ message and after waiting 15 minutes I gave up and crashed file explorer.

All subsequent tests were completed after each restart.
Same as above but this time I changed the folder view to ‘General Items’ then restarted.
From the restart I then did the right click open files and the files list populated instantly, no green bar, no scanning just a list of files, so it seems either manually changing the folder view or using the ‘bag’ fix to force the change to ‘General Items’ fixes the scanning green bar problem.

So far so good but I still have the long wait for the context menu to open when a file is right clicked.
First I tried the registry change for the ‘Property Value’ as in this suggestion;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.ts

This however did nothing and the long wait for the context menu continued.
At this point I was getting a little frustrated and accidently reset the folder view to ‘Videos’ it was after I had opened the folder with the right click context menu and while sipping a cup of coffee (as you do), I noticed something.
The ‘date’ and ‘length’ columns were both empty and the longer I waited slowly very slowly odd files would fill in their details. After around 20 minutes some 9 files had now filled in their ‘Dates’ and ‘Lengths’, at last a pointer.

Next test, use the file explorer menu ‘View’ tab then select ‘Sort By’ go to the bottom of the menu and select ‘Choose Columns’ and untick ‘Date’ and ‘Length’. Back to the file list and no change the files took just as long to populate the folder view.

Ok next test turn them back on, again into the ‘Choose Columns’ list and ticked the box for ‘Date Modified’, back to the list. Hmm ok the date is back fine so far.
Back into Choose Columns again and tick the box for ‘Length’, then ‘OK’ and ....... everything stops dead. File explored reports ‘Not Responding’ and it looks like I have a pointer to the problem at last.

It seems the File Explorer cannot work out the length of the file from any header information so it has to scan/load bit by bit/somehow run the full length of the file to work out how long the file is.
And it has to do this for every ts file in the folder to populate the folder view then do the same for each individual file when I use the context menu to open it.

Once done it seems to cache this information and each subsequent ‘Context Open’ is almost instant until I either restart the computer or close and open file explorer.
BTW [Ctrl]+C and [Ctrl]+V does a simple copy and paste without all the Context menu stuff just fine so it really is something to do with the Menu, just wish I could fix it.

So ‘Length’ is the problem, now can anyone suggest a way to either help File explorer work out the length or stop it from loading the complete file just to work this out. All suggestions will be tried and thanks for any help.

Regards, OldGuyCC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's a quick test:

Via a Command Prompt, rename all the .ts files in your test folder to a 'known unknown' file tyoe, eg. your zip code:

C:\Users\Whoever\Videos\TestFolder>ren *.ts *.90807

See how File Explorer handles those.

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2024 Views 499 Applies to: