Win10 chkdsk: "Deleting extended attribute set . . ."

<p>Hello --

I'm running Win10 x64 public release build. Occasionally, Shutdown and Restart hang, requiring a hard reset or forced shutdown. At next boot, chkdsk runs before opening the GUI because the "dirty" bit is set on all volumes on the computer (I have 2 HDDs each with two partitions and one SSD with three partitions, so 7 volumes online). Chkdsk runs through all seven, and it takes forever to process the ones any version of Windows is installed, giving the message "Deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point in file xxxx" for hundreds (thousands?) of files on each OS volume.

This doesn't happen on the rare occasions when Win7 fails to shut down correctly; only when Win 10 fails.

What's this all about. Is this a Win10 bug? Is there a way to prevent this from occurring?

RAS

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

This issue could have occurred due to third party software.

I would suggest you to perform Clean Boot and check.

Clean Boot.
Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer:
After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that I can assist you better.

Thanks.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am also having the exact same issue as RAS43 on my build with one ssd drive containing windows 7,  one ssd with windows 10 (insider's version), and a sata slave drive. So how does a clean boot help solve the issue? What exactly are we supposed to do? Uninstall a program or update, run Windows 10 for several days, then uninstall another program or update, repeating the process until all programs and updates are uninstalled, then reinstall them all one at a time until check disk performs the deleting process? I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling all the software and updates is a reasonable solution. Couldn't that be done without being in a clean boot environment? So, aside from the explanation being third party software, what  exactly causes the problem?  Please help as this is a very annoying situation.  And just for the record, this deleting process occurs after a normal shut down, not from a hard reset or  forced shutdown.

301 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I completely agree. If windows 10 is this fragile it should not have been released.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having the same chkdsk problem.  

I think I have narrowed the problem down to Macrium backup s/ware I use for cloneing.  Is any one else useing this ?

The cloneing options in Macrium do mention reparse points with a yes/no option.

I am still to experiment with these options. I will let you know if they clear the fault. 

Never had this problem with Acronis and cloneing. And I have been cloneing boot drives for years. 

Macriun beats Acronis hands down for ease of usability. I hope we can sort this. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is interesting. I cloned a Windows 7 drive using Macrium with the default settings, not paying attention to the reparse yes/no setting. I'm not sure what the default setting was. I added a second drive on the same computer  and installed the Windows 10 Insider version. When both drives are connected, and I shut down after running Windows 10, and boot back to the  Windows 10 drive, (with the Windows 7 drive still connected), I have the chkdsk issue deleting the reparse points and all my disks are marked dirty. I have had the Windows 7 drive disconnected for well over a month, just running the Windows 10 drive, and have had no issues with chkdsk wanting to scan my drives. Even if I don't boot to the Windows 7 drive,  just having it connected seems to create this issue. You may be on to something here.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This appears to be a huge issue...I have the problem also. Never had this issue before! I duel boot 7 & 10. After it runs it always needs to reset for Win10. I'm really getting annoyed...this is the 4th time. MS should have never released this! Plus after it resets I have to reinstall all my apps. Sometimes Windows 10 can't seem to fix it ... for it hangs up. So I boot into Windows 7 ... Then it ask to run check disk on the drive of Win10. Ms fix this please its so dam annoying. After running Windows 7 check disk ... and the resetting Win10 I was able to get 10 running. I then ran sfc /scannow ... it stated it was able to fix some but not all. Looking at the CBS log as of now I do not see any 3rd party issues...they are all C:\Windows and system32 mostly. Theirs so many not fixed I just decide to format and reinstall. So how do I get this CBS log to MS? Getting really tired of this ... If it happens again I'm going to do a YouTube video.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update on the issue.

I would suggest you to try following steps and check if it helps.

Run DISM tool and check the issue. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth. (Press Enter)
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. (Press Enter)

To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I'm a recent addition to the list of people having problems with this. MS must think it's a non-issue though, as I've been experiencing this for two days (June 26 & 27, 2016) since I did the "upgrade" (actually I'm convinced Win10 is not an "upgrade", but that's another discussion).

I upgraded Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, running on a Samsung 850 evo SSD. I used Samsung's Magician software to clone the drive, so the problem is not solely related to Macrium.

This is not a traditional "dual boot" with multiple OSes running off one drive. I have the Samsung SSD as the Win 10 boot drive, and dual WD 2TB Black drives - one containing a Windows 7 Home Premium install, and the other contain data files. 

I have had to go back and forth a few times, and it has not been fun or pleasant. The problems started yesterday with chkdsk wanting to run (I think on the Data drive) and that was relatively benign, but I could live with it.

Today, I not only got the chkdsk problem complaining about  "extended attribute set" and "reparse point" problems, but the system completely failed to boot into windows 10. The boot drives are set to to check C:\, and the SSD was hooked to the board's SATA array in position 0 (zero) as one would expect.

I got into this unrecoverable error state where it wanted to do a system recovery (I didn't allow it to proceed). I THINK it was so confused that regardless of Windows 10 being in position 0 as the primary boot drive, it was trying to boot windows 7, or at least the error stuff had a light blue background with a white bird as found in Win 7/ 7 Pro.

The system finally booted into Windows 10, but only after I disconnected the Windows 7 drive from the SATA array  by unplugging the cable. I don't know what to expect and I'm afraid I will have to pull the Windows 7 drive to use Windows 10.

I think there may be something being set on the drives, or perhaps there's a BIOS problem. Windows 7 boots into a "legacy bios"  on my machine and Windows 10 boots with UEFI secure boot. The two are not compatible as far as I know but I can't understand why even having the other drive on the array is an issue since only one is bootable.

What an unacceptable mess they've created!!!! No amount of nonsense like running

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth  AND/OR
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

is ever going to help anything. That's the worst answer I can think of right now..

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disable fast startup in Windows 10. This mode is hibernate like that leaves the disk in a state that Windows 7 does not understand. This causes it to run CHKDSK.

https://www.tenforums.com/installationsetup/ 38269win10installlotsreparseerrorschkdsk. html

70 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The devs need to move this comment to the head of the forum!!!

Brillant, thanks!!!

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2024 Views 58,668 Applies to: