Cursor has disappeared with Windows 10 update

Just completed my Windows 10 update. Was Windows 7, using a Toshiba laptop that's a couple of years old. Cursor appears on the sign in screen, but once I get to my home page the cursor disappears after about ten seconds making my laptop unusable. Super frustrating, does anyone have a solution??

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this. Kindly follow the below given steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1:

I suggest you to try installing touchpad drivers in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the touchpad or      Synaptic Touch pad drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
  • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
  • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Method 2:

I suggest you to perform DISM scan and check if the issue is resolved. I suggest you to try the following steps: 

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
  • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information is helpful. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The first few times this happened I would just restart and it seemed to fix it, now a couple days later even that doesn't help thus my visiting this page.

What I'd like to know is how do I try Method 1 if my curser is either missing or frozen? The only thing I can do is get the windows menu to pop up; I can use my arrow keys and hit enter, I cannot type anything into the search box.

I tried Method 2 but keep getting error code 740

UPDATE: My husband, who is more familiar with computers than I am, was trying to help me fix this issue. He found out that Windows 10 keeps disabling my touchpad. He enabled it and I don't seem to have an issue at the moment. 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem.  I fixed my issue by going to additional mouse options, drivers and clicking "roll back to previous version".  Once the computer restarted my cursor was back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried method two although I did not see the second command turn up on the admin screen. My Lenovo has been trying to restart for fifteen minutes "Getting windows (10) ready shouldn't take this long surely.

Someone has suggested re enabling the touch pad so the curzer can return .How do I do that?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disappearing curzer? Ive cracked mine! I have a Lenovo so googled  "how to disable your touchpad" (cos that was obviously what I had done without realising it!!!) Anyway...enough reverse psychology

This worked for me

1. Click on      windows start

2. Go to          control panel

3. Choose        mouse

4. A pop up appears of      mouse properties

5. I had to choose the one on the right   ELAN, ultranav or thinkpad

6. Then I simply ticked       enable device

98 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the solution my husband came up on his own, but it is a temporary one since Windows 10 has decided to play God inside my computer and decides when I can and cannot use my mouse pad at random (at least once a day, sometimes more, my touchpad will freeze and I will have to do re enable it). I still have to add a separate mouse to my laptop to click enable. I would not consider this a fix.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bambi,

Apology for the delay in response.

Try the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

a) Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

b) Spot and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices ”.

c). Right click on the touch pad driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer to check the problem is fixed. If it doesn't fix the issue, then try to Uninstall the driver by Right clicking on the touch pad driver then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start.

Keep us posted for any concern with windows, we're glad to assist you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to control panel, "hardware and Sound", under devices and printers select "mouse".  When I did this it showed that my mouse had, for some reason, been disabled (despite the fact that I had been working on my lap-top for hours....)  I simply tabbed across and selected the "enable" button and so far it seems to be working.  I have my cursor back!  I have absolutely no idea what caused it to disappear though....

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for your effort resolving this issue.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just figured mine out. I inadvertenly hit my F6 button on the keypad. this disables the pointer. you may want to check yours before attempting anything else. hope this helps.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 42,253 Applies to: