Windows 8.1 "working on features 100% complete don't turn off your computer"

Windows 8.1 asked update, I watched it go from 0% to 100%.  And now it's been stuck on the black screen with the above phrase while a circle keeps revolving.   This has been happening for the past 8 hours and there has been nothing I can do.  My laptop/tablet is the ASUS Transformer T100T and I've had it for one week.   Cannot access anything.   Right now, I'm waiting for the battery to die because I have no other choice.  And I cannot reboot by holding down the power button.  Please help.  I have a job interview tomorrow and would like to print out my resume. 
Answer
Answer

Hi TeeDee,

Before we start with the troubleshooting steps, I would like to know some information about this issue.

1. Have you connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard?

2. Are you using any third party security software on your computer?

If you have connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard, then try disconnecting it and check.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it works for you.

Method 1:

If you have an Installation Media, then Perform Hard Shut down and then try performing Automatic repair and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to perform automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment:
Insert the Installation Media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

1. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers)and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
  2. Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:
  3. Click Next and select Repair your computer.
  4. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
  5. You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Method 2:

Perform System Restore using the Installation Media and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to perform system restore:

1. Insert the Installation Media such as (DVD or flash drive) and press F12 key and click on change default or other options which is at the bottom of the screen.
  2. In the next screen click on troubleshoot option, this will display you different WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) options to resolve issues with the computer when it is in no boot state.
  3. Now Click on System Restore, this will open up a Wizard and restore to a point when the computer was working fine.

If you do not have an Installation Media, then refer to the following Microsoft Help article to create an Installation Media.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Please reply with the status of the issue so that we can help you better.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2023 Views 130,788 Applies to: