Windows 8.1 Extend dual monitor and resolution issue after update

Hi,

This issue may occur even if the display resolution settings is not supported by Windows 8 or due to display drives issue.

I suggest you to update the graphics card drivers and check if it resolves the issue.

a) Press Windows and x key on your desktop and click on Device Manager.
b) Expand ‘Display Adapter’.
c) Locate the display driver.
d) Right-click on the display card listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’

You can also refer to the following articles for more information.

Connect multiple monitors to your PC: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Use multiple monitors: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/multiple-monitors#1TC=t1

If the issue persists, I suggest you to reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I have the same problem here too. Last time I had this problem when I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and it took me months to fix the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling all kind of drivers until finally it worked. Now it happens again! Is it going to be the case?! Perhaps better to stop an update that messes up for the users.

So, is there any fix?

every time that Microsoft brings on a new update we should face all these problems with the drivers that Microsoft was supporting before and it is not going to support any more. what says that they do not decide to cut the support from Windows itself any time soon!
Anyway, definitely looking for an alternative.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sure the Microsoft Community Code of Conduct dictates that we really can't tell Microsoft what we think of their 8.1 update. I came to my Toshiba laptop today to find it in automatic update mode. I had two external monitors that worked perfectly ... one Benq, one Philips ... both 24" ... and will they work now? Not on your sweet Nelly. Typical Microsoft ... release half finished updates and expect the world to do their beta testing. I have five laptops ... all on one big test bench ... each with external monitors ... Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, WIndows XP and a MacBook Pro running the latest iOS ... guess which one gives me the least problems ??? Go on ... just try and guess. Get real you stupid dinosaur !!! Is it any wonder that you're losing massive market share to Google and Apple. Why do your continually ****-off your customer base with this lack of basic quality control?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sure the Microsoft Community Code of Conduct dictates that we really can't tell Microsoft what we think of their 8.1 update. I came to my Toshiba laptop today to find it in automatic update mode. I had two external monitors that worked perfectly ... one Benq, one Philips ... both 24" ... and will they work now? Not on your sweet Nelly. Typical Microsoft ... release half finished updates and expect the world to do their beta testing. I have five laptops ... all on one big test bench ... each with external monitors ... Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, WIndows XP and a MacBook Pro running the latest iOS ... guess which one gives me the least problems ??? Go on ... just try and guess. Get real you stupid dinosaur !!! Is it any wonder that you're losing massive market share to Google and Apple. Why do your continually ****-off your customer base with this lack of basic quality control?

I have a Toshiba laptop and use a Belkin KVM so I can use my monitor, keyboard and mouse with a 2nd computer. It was working perfectly with Windows 8. Immediately after installing 8.1 I had a problem. After switching the KVM to the desktop, the app on the 2nd monitor for the Toshiba squashed on top of the app on the Toshiba monitor. When I switch back to the Toshiba, I have to wait 10 seconds for the extended display to be recognised, then I can drag my internet browser back to the 2nd monitor.

Microsoft, please fix this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Karen Higgins

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

You may uninstall the ghost drivers from device manager and then reinstall the display drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

·         Open command prompt by typing cmd from start screen.

·         Type SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 and press ENTER.

·         Go to device manager by typing devmgmt.msc from command prompt.

·         Expand Display adapter and remove the ghost drivers.

·         Now visit the manufacturer’s website to reinstall the display drivers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Karthik Vengaloor for the reply. I followed the steps for updating AMD Radeon HD 7670M driver software. However I got the message "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date".

This is a Windows 8.1 problem. I know how to use multiple monitors. With Windows 8 it was working perfectly.

Another issue is with Excel. The cell contents are not visible except for the last few characters, when I attempt to edit text in a cell. So it means that I must use Excel on the smaller monitor which is not optimal. Again, this is a problem that started with Windows 8.1

So even if I were to purchase a new KVM, the Excel problem would still exist.

Microsoft, please fix this very annoying bug.

Karen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I have the same problem. it just did it to me when I turned my PC on today on the 12th of February. it made my second monitor my primary, and wont allow me to change that. it also made my previously primary, now secondary monitor drop to 1024 * 768 resolution and wont allow me to change it back to 1080p. ive tried everything from updating windows and updating all drivers. nothing. tried unplugging and moving the positions of where they are plugged in and tried powering down and back on the PC with different placements. tried using the BIOS to change monitor resolution but it wont allow me to. my secondary monitor that is now the primary, has however changed to 1080p which it wasn't before. its almost as if the monitors change position AND resolution and ive used every available option to try and revert it short of wiping my PC. (ive also tried uninstalling and re downloading all drivers)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2023 Views 10,067 Applies to: