Schedule Windows Update download

In Windows 8.1, I have automatic updates set to run during maintenance at 3:00 am. Allow maintenance to wake computer is checked. My last 2 update sessions were installed at 1:10 am and 2:46 pm today. I only have 5 GB data allowance on satellite. I now have less than .5 GB left for the next 3 1/2 weeks. I have a bonus 5 GB between 2 am and 8 am which is when I'm trying to get my updates downloaded. The 8.1 update downloaded automatically during the day (I was saving that for my bonus time - I thought I had to select Download on the webpage) and ate a huge chunk of my allowance. I am not a vampire. I am not up between 2 am and at least 7 am. I don't want to have to get up and rush out to turn on my laptop, get to updates and have it check for updates. Bring back the ability to schedule downloads, please!

I tried the Task Scheduler, but I have no idea what Windows Update executable file name is or where it is and I don't have time to search my whole hard drive for it. I don't even have time to type this out.

At this point I'm going to have to select check for updates but let me decide when to download and install, set my alarm earlier than I want and do computer updates before I have my breakfast. And I will be grumbling about Microsoft while I do it.

Dena,

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but maybe it will help.

If it's different in your version, you might want to use this as a guide.

<<http://tinyurl.com/lq7cy2y>>

`~`

California, United States, the current time and date right now  4:24 PM 
 Tuesday, December 16, 2014
 Pacific Standard Time (PST) -0800 UTC

UTC/GMT is 00:24 on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Current Weather Conditions in Los Angeles

Cloudy 58°F / 14°C

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for replying, but it did not help. As far as I can tell, there is no way to schedule when MS Update downloads updates in 8.1.       

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel the same.  Windows has really gone down hill since XP.  Updates take over two hours and I have more important things to do than watch the screen.   8.1 really SUCKS!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You cannot regulate when updates are downloaded but you may be able to schedule when updates are installed.

You may want to change your network connection to a metered connection such that only priority updates are downloaded. See this FAQ => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

IMPORTANT! => If you disable Automatic Updates or change it to a setting other than the default 'Automatic' setting, Windows Defender will NOT auto-update itself!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2018 Views 396 Applies to: