Annoying “couldn't complete the updates” error message needs a trusty solution

I uploaded my windows update log file for you to solve this problem. Here's the link

http://1drv.ms/1IeMKxI .

A couple days ago I checked updates manually, then downloaded all the updates and installed them. Then I restarted my computer after about ten minutes waiting I got this error message "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." Then my computer was turned on and I opened action center, found my windows update history empty. And showed

Most recent check for updates: Never

Updates were installed: Never

Then I tried again, checked for updates, did the same things again, then restarted computer and got the same message. Tried some ways I found on the Internet but none worked. I've been bothered by this problem for 3 days, almost got mad.

I don't know which update package cause this problem because the updates history is empty.

And I have 38 updates to install since I've disabled auto-update for about a month before.

These are information I can provided, if you need more I'll try to collect them for you, thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Answer-by-number:

1. How long has Automatic Updates been disabled?

2. Did you just install Win8.1 via the Windows Store?

3. Is KB2919355 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History) and if so, when (exact date) was it installed?

4. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ehrman,

As you are getting Windows Update error “We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer”. Adding to PA Bear MS MVP's response. I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article and check the issue.

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates”.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

The above article also contains few steps for system restore.

I highly recommend backing up all of your important files and folders onto an external storage device before attempting any type of Operating System repair or upgrade.

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Please share the status of the issue after trying the steps from the above article. Feel free to contact us  if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. About 2 months, maybe no more than 2 months.

2. No, directly installed Windows 8.1, not via the Windows Store.

3. Yes, April 10th.

4. Update Versions: 11.0.11 (KB2976627)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply.

However, I want you to know that solutions provided in your link are useless, at least for me. I tried the safe mode way, but didn't work.

Also, as for system restore, please do not mention it easily, please. It seems most of your supports can provide only two options in most cases: restarting or system restore. System restore is the most annoying way to solve a (Windows) computer problem. No one wants to do a system restore just because of the problems caused by MS Window, not us users. Why should users pay for MS Windows' bug?

You may saw how people help me solve this problem in this link, they told me to abandon Windows  and choose OS X or Linux instead, lol, but for me, as a PC gamer, I do not want to abandon Windows for now, also I'd never do a system restore.

What more can I ask for? I hope MS can stop these endless buggy updates(not big updates like Windows 8.1 update 1), I can not find any slight improvement to my PC with them. These updates bring me nothing but bad mood.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming Win8.1 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Win8 (or Win8.1) preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win8 (or Win8.1), or did you upgrade a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8 (or Win8.1)?

1c. Have you ever done a Reset or a Refresh?

2. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

3. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6a. Is KB2976897, KB2993651, KB2918614, and/or KB2978668 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6b. May we assume that neither KB3003057, KB3006226, KB3010788, KB2992611, KB2993958, KB3005607, KB2978126, KB3003743, KB3002885 nor KB3011780 is listed in Installed Updates?

7.  Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Is Adobe Flash Player v14.0.0.176 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

=======================================================
[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. I bought it at the beginning of March 2014.

1b. No, it's a gaming rig without any system preinstalled, I bought every part personally. I clean installed windows 8.1, not upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.

1c. Never had a reset or a refresh.

2. No anti-virus application installed.

3. No anti-malware application installed.

4. No, I've never installed Norton or McAfee on my PC since I bought it.

5. No, without OS preinstalled, so without Norton or McAfee preinstalled.

6a. KB2976897 installed on 9/4/2014 

KB2993651 installed on 9/4/2014

KB2978668 installed on 9/4/2014

KB2918614 is not listed on installed updates.

6b. KB3010788 is listed on installed updates, and none of the rest is listed on installed updates.

Here something I want to add:

KB3010788 and KB2978122 can be listed on installed updates every time I booted my computer after getting the annoying error message. I tried uninstalling the two updates and checked for updates again, the same thing happened again. 

7. Yes, installed Chrome(default browser, my everyday browser), Waterfox and Epic Browser. Seldom use IE.

8. No, it showed  "You have version 15,0,0,152 installed"

9. Yes, I use CCleaner every 3 or 4 days to delete trash files and useless registries since Windows 8.1 was installed.

Something I want to know:I think part of the updates were already downloaded on my computer because every time I checked for updates again after failed updating, the updates were being downloaded from a certain percentage, i.e. 36%. Can I delete all these downloaded updates(not installed and updated successfully) and how to do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, in case you cannot see the pics I inserted clearly, I uploaded them to OneDrive(including my all installed updates), here's the link: http://1drv.ms/1AeRYUd.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. What Definitions version is displayed in Windows Defender's Update tab right now?

2. Did you recently run the Windows Update troubleshooter?

3. When (exact date) was KB3010788 installed according to Installed Updates?

4. Do you have backups of ALL the changes CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component has EVER made to the computer? [1]

===========================================================
[1] Injudicious use of registry cleaners may be playing a role here. TIP: If you ever again think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, maximized, "swept" or optimised (it doesn't), read this article (and related links cited therein) then draw your own conclusions. Also related => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2. No.

3. 12/06/2014

I tried several times to updates my computer but all failed. Every time failed I uninstalled KB3010788 and KB2978122 then tried again, the last time was on 12/06/2014.

4. No, I don't have any backup.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried several times to updates my computer but all failed. Every time failed I uninstalled KB3010788 and KB2978122 then tried again...

1. Is KB3010788 listed in Installed Updates right now?

2. Is KB2978122 listed in Installed Updates right now?

3. Can you successfully update Defender Definitions manually via the Update button on the Update tab [TEST NOW] and if so, what Definitions version is installed after doing so?

4. Is Automatic Updates still disabled? [1]

5. Is KB3008923, KB3013126, KB3004394, KB3008925 and/or KB3013769 listed as a FAILED update(s) in Update History (this time)?

===========================================================

[1] Windows Defender will auto-update itself if and only if (a) Automatic Updates is enabled and (b) set to the default Automatic configuration.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2021 Views 5,240 Applies to: