Windows 8.1 ....... What a joke!

Hi Guys,

After downloading the eagerly awaited Windows 8.1 update my computer has run into problems, nothing serious, more minor irritations. Basically when I boot my machine up to the metro home screen, none of the tiles update straight away. When I click on the store it tells me im not connected to the internet. It takes at least 2-3 minutes after logging on before I am able to access the tiles with them fully up-to-date. Is this a serious problem or something that just comes with the Windows 8.1 update? 

I should have know better to update from 8 to 8.1... all my video games look like I'm watching a 3D movie with out the glasses. Java is freaking out saying the right version is installed while IE is freaking out saying the version in incompatible. I go to Nvidia's website to use the auto detect and it needs Java.  I already hate Java and its ASK toolbar and search it always want me to install. If I do the manual video driver install, it says I have the right driver, yet my games still wont work, and the Java Icon just popped up again as I'm typing this wanting me to update Java again...

I should have read the 8.1 info more clearly before doing it... I figured it was like a service pack for the new generation.

Now I have to back up all my files and re-install 8 from scratch along with all my settings if I want to play my games or get IE and Java to play nice again.

Also it wants me to redo my Microsoft live account and back up account information or phone numbers which is already overkill for my home gaming PC.

Other than that the download and update worked... my system restarted, I'm using it now but all I can do is use Office or surf the web that doesn't need Java...

Horrible Update... DO NOT waste your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I feel your pain! Every time a new issue is revealed with Windows, I feel my self leaning ever so closer to Linux!.......Or dare I even say.......Mac!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stop threatening, If you dislike windows that much buy your Mac, I am sure not many here care what you do.  We are here to get help with our issues or to help someone else with theirs, not to listen to some blow-hart says he going to buy a Mac.-Just do it!. Hope this helps and if you need further assistance post and we will be glad to assist you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When we try to pick out-anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -John Muir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced this as well. It seems that the upgrade turns on the 3d feature of the Nvidia video card.  You can turn it off in the Nvidia control panel settings, or you can grab a pair of cyan/red glasses and check it out.  Playing WoW in 3d is really quite awesome.

If only windows media player had 3d blu ray support.  :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

blow hard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the real issue is the very poor operating system and the fact that Microsoft are not listening to the hundreds of people that think Windows 8 is a joke and windows 8.1 (only released because Windows 8 is a joke and Microsoft knows it), is no better! These forums offer Microsoft business intelligence for free and yet they fail to make use of it to keep ahead of the competition.

In my opinion Microsoft's unique selling point is that everyone knows their operating system; so why make an operating system that know one knows how to use and eliminate their key USP, or arguably their only USP?

I have continued to have problems with windows 8, it took me 3 days to upload to windows 8.1. The operating system is designed for mobile phones and not laptops, it is not intuitive in the slightest.

I cannot understand why technology has to degenerate all the time when it worked ok to start with. In order for technology to advance the designers of the technology need to listen to their market and understand what they want first I.e. easier, faster and cheaper technology!

Nicole

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I must pipe in...... 

This platform was supposed to be a cure for the boring interface , but just like Vista is a flop ...  nobody wants the multi screen tell me what to do without more control. and too top that  (I don't need  some device telling me what to do with what I pay for)

if I need advise I will ask !

(take me back windows 7 ) at least it was functional and quit perhaps the best to date, as was XP once the bugs where worked out.  

congrats Microsoft you have once again bottled up a another genie and we are all waiting for you to answer the call.

and /or   we await the new and improved  sticker shock price !!!!!!!

i want a refund .......

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Who cares, its called choice!!! And quit quoting people in history, it is in the past and needs too stay there !

do I dare say that some of us where learning bits and bytes when you where beating off to the sears catalog.

just because some are sick of the hype and price you don't need to be a dick about it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 766 Applies to: