Installing Windows 8.1 Update (KB2919355) - First get BSOD "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED", after a restore I see that the update failed with Error 0x800F0923

Original Title: Windows 8.1 Update (KB2919355) - Your PC ran into a problem...

Dear Sir/madam,

I try to install the latest update (KB2919355), which came out yesterday (8 April 2014), for my HP Probook (Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit) but it fails. Let me explain what I have done so far..

Installed all updates (kept checking Windows Update), except KB2919355. After Windows Update was done with the download of KB2919355, it started to install. After the install it gives a message it needs to reboot Windows.

When I reboot the machine I get the following message (blue screen and sad face): "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. (0% complete)"

"If you like to know more, you can search online later for this error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED."

In the Startup and Recovery options I got 'Automatically Restart' disabled and 'Automatic Memory Dump' on (%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP, overwrite any existing file is on).

Strangely enough it does not collect any information, it just stuck at 0%... After waiting for 15-20min I powered off the notebook and waited for a few seconds and put it back on. I got the same error message again and again.

After the third/fourth try it said "Preparing automatic repair" and "Diagnosing your PC". It gave me options what to do next, such as 'Refresh your PC' etc. Through this way I could start 'Safe mode with networking'. After I chose that option Windows gave me a message that Windows Updates couldn't install/complete updates and that it's reverting back (do not power off the machine etc.)

I waited for this operation to finish and luckily it reverted everything nicely and I could boot back into Windows 8.1. So now my notebook is working again, but without the update.

I checked Event Viewer and searched for any kind of error relating this problem.

I found the following: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0923: Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355).

I also did a sfc /scannow check after my notebook could boot back into Windows 8.1.

So could anybody help with a solution to this problem?

I am an IT student and would like to know why I get "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" error after the update. Also I need my notebook for my IT education, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you need more information from me, please let me know!

Thank you very much in advance.

Specs of my HP Probook:

Intel Core i5 3210M CPU

16GB Kingston RAM

128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD

500GB Seagate HDD

Intel HD4000 GPU

Answer
Answer

Chris,

A user with the same problem has shared a resolution that worked for him. You can find it here:

http://www.cravingtech.com/finally-fix-error-80073712-windows-8-1-update-kb2919355.html

Check if that helps you as well.

Regards-

The Error Code does not mislead.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi, All

The problem lies in the driver SPDT companies DuplexSecure.

Solution:

1. Remove SPTD driver from system using an application SPDTinst - download latest version (support 32 end 64 bit)
2. Restart the system

3. Normally install KB2919355 from Windows Update.

Best regards,
Slawek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2018 Views 5 Applies to: