Can I delete Windows.old after update to Windows 8.1?

Is it save to delete the C:\Windows.old folder after a successful update to Windows 8.1?
If you will not need anything that is stored there then yes you can remove it using the disk cleanup system files option. Windows removes it anyway after a few days.  Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance post and we will be glad to help you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -John Muir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've found that the best way to do this is use Disk Clean-up. In Explorer right click the volume (C:) that was updated. Select Disk Clean-up and from the list select Update backup files or something. Disk Clean-up does a great job without affecting your precious files.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And how do you delete it when disk clean up doesn't "see" that directory? I have ran that pos several times and not once has it shown that there is a "old" windows install to be removed. I would REALLY like it GONE

I've also tried "manually" deleting it by following a (incorrect) guideline from a couple of tech sights..(Using something called takedown (that windows doesn't recognize)

So how do get rid of that useless folder in 8.1??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2024 Views 5,097 Applies to: