Mscomctl.ocx issues in Windows 8.1 64-bit

I've been encountering a run-time error ('339') on a program I've been trying to install, stating that "component 'Mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". From what I can tell, the file is indeed missing, and my attempts to register the file via the command prompt have failed because of this. I've tried all of the suggested solutions I could find, but I can't seem to get VB to install correctly (ran as admin, in compatibility mode, just didn't work properly; no Mscomctl.ocx), and I have no idea how to install it manually.

Could someone walk me through how to solve this problem? It's been quite the headache.

Hi,

I appreciate the efforts which you have put to try to resolve the issue. Please write to us with the version of Visual Basic installed on your computer.

A runtime error is a software or hardware problem that prevents a program from working correctly. Runtime errors might cause you to lose information in the file you're working on, cause errors in the file (corrupt the file) so you can't work with it, or prevent you from using a feature.

Click on the link given below and expand the “RESOLUTION” section and Download the Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls package now.

FIX: The Windows Common Controls Mscomctl.ocx or Comctl32.ocx may cause your application or the Visual Basic 6 IDE to unexpectedly quit, or you may receive a "Divide By Zero" error message

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896559/en-us

Once you have successfully downloaded the package try to reregister Mscomctl.ocx. You can follow the steps given by k.c.s. in the link below to reregister it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/mscomctlocx-dependency-error-attempting-to-install/f96acaa3-90d7-437a-a9cc-9130eb17fdb4

Let us know if you still face any issues.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This doesn't help because the post from k.c.s. has dead links. Still looking for a solution . . . 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This doesn't help because the post from k.c.s. has dead links. Still looking for a solution . . . 

Coincidentally  MSCOMCTL.OCX  came up yesterday in another thread.  Looks like another solution then would be to get it from a security patch.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/figuring-out-why-i-do-not-have-some-kbs/bd1f59c6-bce8-46f2-8b73-cecba52787ed#LastReply

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One of our customers of our VB6 application recently got a Microsoft Surface, and the Treeview control is not displaying correctly.  I'll go through all of the steps in this thread, and report back.  I already tried unregistering MSCOMCTL.OCX, replacing it with a newer version, and registering it.

I'm on a loaner Surface Pro 3 for testing, and this is what the TreeView looks like.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2021 Views 30,100 Applies to: