Windows has encountered a problem with a device connected to your computer?

the computer cant start up.

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

The screen might of been unplugged

I had nothing plugged in that is not plugged in now I dont think, maybe a USB drive but why wont it start up?

Can not boot into BIOS with F2 or Delete

Can no enter safe mode with F8 + SHIFT

Asus screen

screen with:Marvell RAID listing the drives

Asus screen again

The screen above, Windows has encountered a problem.....

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I put a USB drive back into the rear USB3 port and the "Removable drive E" reappeared so it's a problem with all the USB3 ports. The flash drive also appearers and was usable so the rear two USB3 ports are working fine, for now.

How do I update the drivers for the USB3 ports? I have opened the Ai suite and updated the bios a week ago and I check and it's still up to date there is a chipset to download

-MEI
-Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V9.5.15.1730 for 32/64bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8/8.1.(WHQL)

I downloaded this and ther eis a setup file .exe I will run this and see what happens

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have installed the chipset, whatever it was, and there was also a Driver for my graphics card update.

ALL the working USB ports, the (USB3 and the USB2 ports) generate the "removable Drive E" when I plug in a USB memory stick. NOT when I plug in an external HDD to the USB3 or 2 ports only with the memory sticks are plugged in.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just for the heck of it, you might try changing the drive letter on the device.  Something not used by another device, like u or v.  Maybe there is some sort of conflict with your devices.

Since there are no additional USB 3.0 drivers for your system, you might need to uninstall all the USB devices and let Windows find them again.

The Drive E: should be listed in the Device Manager.  Uninstalling it, maybe again, and choosing to remove all drivers might help.  I may be loosing track of your exact status, but if you have a phantom drive, showing up and you have no virtual drives, it appears something being plugged in is reactivating the errant device.  But it is hard to visualize the situation without having eyes on the system.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it has all got a bit confusing. There was the original warning about "windows has encountered a problem with a device connected to your computer" and I could not boot up. I removed all USB peripherals and then it booted . I plugged them all back in but the front panel no longer worked and when I plug in a flash memory stick, not an external HDD or keyboard ot tablet or anything only the USB stick to any USB port anywhere a phantom drive E appears and if I try to look in it it asks me to put a DVD in making me think it thinks it's a optical drive.

That's a simply put as it gets I think.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I renamed it to G drive but it's still there

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 52,717 Applies to: