Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap fwpkclnt.sys Blue Screen, on Windows 8.1 after installing Visual Studio 2013

I have installed the Windows 8.1 OS (Dreamspark ISO) and afterwards, I installed Visual Studio 2013 RC Ultimate (from Dreamspark as well). After installing VS, I keep getting blue screens with the following error message :

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP fwpkclnt.sys

I searched the web a little about the file and I've found out fwpkclnt.sys - firewall platform kernel client is also used more frequently by some softwares, including AVG Antivirus software, which I particularly have it installed on my OS.

Currently, I still have 8.1 but it's a fresh reinstall, without VS 2013 and with AVG, so it's running okay, but, is there any way to solve this with both installations? Right now, I'll try to switch to another antivirus to see if results change. I really wish to have VS 2013 installed to develop win 8.1 apps, otherwise, Win 8 would have been okay.

There's a similar post I've run to, complaining about the same Blue Screen error message but without the .sys file mentioned in the message. But it is still, similar, because the person who posted it, says problems arised onlyafter VS 2013 was installed (same case, Dreamspark).

I followed the specified solutions. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, reported no problems. As for the dump files, they can be found here: 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=402A59790F3709F4!371&authkey=!AD1S15i1fsQpDtA 

Please help me out on tracking down the issue and provide me a solution to it...

Thank you, very much.

As in this thread there may be a bug in the vmswitch.sys.

Your dump files showed similar results with references to the vmswitch.sys such as:

fffd000`20728ab8  fffff800`01aa9bd9 vmswitch!VmsExtMpSendNetBufferLists+0x359

There is a similarity to the other thread in that both of you have Dell Inspiron (N4050 and N5010) notebooks with Realtek network adapters.

What I might suggest is to wait until Visual Studio 2013 RTM is available to you via Dreamspark and that may be on Oct 31 and then see if that makes a difference.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, auggy,

Thank you very much for your reply. However, I do have one more question :

What about fwpkclnt.sys file? No reference about it? I'm taking my risk and try to install Visual Studio 2013 without AVG to see if blue screens persist. I'll return with the answer.

If you can, please tell me what could be wrong with fwpkclnt.sys, as it was in the blue screen error messages a lot of times.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE 1 :

I have tried to install Visual Studio 2013 RC Ultimate without AVG installed, but with no success. I have discovered another thing though : 

While installing the Windows Phone SDK, the crashes began immediately after the Network Adapter Multiplexor Drivers have been installed. So I guess those are the ones causing the actual problems.

Now I'm back to VS 2012, and I'm installing the Windows Phone SDK just to test it out. I'll return with an answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE 2 :

Blue screens seem to occur (less often) also with Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate on Wn 8.1 OS... I guess it has to do with the Network Adapater Multiplexor drivers installed by the Windows Phone SDK...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling the wired and wireless network adapter drivers?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually I did. With the Realtek network adapter drivers. I uninstalled them and rebooted so that Windows will reinstall the default ones. The blue screen persisted though.

I must make a correction though, to my previous post - Visual Studio 2012 installed on my machine running Windows 8.1, caused a single blue screen, and none after (fwpkclint.sys).

There could be a last... experiment, to have 8.1 and install VS 2013 without WP SDK, but honestly I have got tired of such attempts, so I will stick with VS 2012 at least until there's going to appear some Service Pack of some sorts to the VS software installation - altough that might take quite a while...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when i install the vs2015,how can i solve it. i have the same question. when i try to connect the network .it happens to BSOD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You are replying to a old topic so I would suggest to start a new topic to get the best help.

To start a new topic click "Participate" and then click "Ask a Question" in the following link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

In the new topic it would help if you would provide the minidump files located in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder via a public folder on OneDrive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2019 Views 9,939 Applies to: