Frequent system-crashes in Windows 8.1

My Sony Vaio Tap 11 (model: SVT1121C5E) runs very unstable ever since I bought it about 3 months ago. Almost every day the system crashes, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes with prior bluescreen, Windows colleting data and then stopping at 100%.

Occasionally the device shuts down and automatically restarts.

Sometimes the screen becomes black and the device can be turned off only by holding the power-button for a few seconds.

I´m running Windows 8.1 and all the current device-drivers, bios-update and Windows-updates are installed. I would really need some help here.

The event-viewer has some "Event41, Kernel-Power" entries in the category "critical" such as following: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> <EventID>41</EventID> <Version>3</Version> <Level>1</Level> <Task>63</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-06T10:01:05.426979800Z" /> <EventRecordID>58462</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>Parinibbana</Computer> <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="BugcheckCode">126</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffffffc0000005</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff80077ebbb76</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xffffd00026b5b638</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xffffd00026b5ae40</Data> <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> </EventData> </Event>

Another frequently occurring error is "LoadPerf" with EventID: 3012 The general-tab says: "The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section."

In the details of the XML-view it says: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> <EventID>41</EventID> <Version>3</Version> <Level>1</Level> <Task>63</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-06T10:01:05.426979800Z" /> <EventRecordID>58462</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>Parinibbana</Computer> <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="BugcheckCode">126</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffffffc0000005</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff80077ebbb76</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xffffd00026b5b638</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xffffd00026b5ae40</Data> <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> </EventData> </Event>

In order to get a clearer picture of my system-crashes I downloaded a software called "WhoCrashed", clicked on "Analyse" and the following is the result of it´s log:

System Information (local) computer name: PARINIBBANA windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 windows dir: C:\WINDOWS Hardware: SVT1121C5E, Sony Corporation, VAIO CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4610Y CPU @ 1.70GHz Intel586, level: 6 4 logical processors, active mask: 15 RAM: 4185702400 total VM: 2147352576, free: 1916170240 Crash Dump Analysis Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 19.03.2014 22:18:28 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE00008DC4410, 0xFFFFF80289209840, 0xFFFFE0000172C010) Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 19.03.2014 08:12:08 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031914-5859-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150B36) Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE00000F14880, 0xFFFFF800EDD7E860) Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 16.03.2014 15:16:25 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\031614-7609-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF802530BD533) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 16.03.2014 15:16:25 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: nuserver64.sys (NUServer64+0x17C13) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF802530BD533) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nuserver64.sys product: Network USB Server company: Elite Silicon Technology Inc. description: Network USB Server 64bit Device Driver Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nuserver64.sys (Network USB Server 64bit Device Driver, Elite Silicon Technology Inc.). Google query: Elite Silicon Technology Inc. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Thu 06.03.2014 10:00:19 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\030614-7234-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xADB76) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80077EBBB76, 0xFFFFD00026B5B638, 0xFFFFD00026B5AE40) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 06.03.2014 04:55:47 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\030614-6921-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x1, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800060AE5D1) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 06.03.2014 03:58:36 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\030614-6015-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x425637) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803D029D637, 0xFFFFD000237F57D8, 0xFFFFD000237F4FE0) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 26.02.2014 21:57:39 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022714-5343-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: netwbw02.sys (0xFFFFF8000284FDFC) Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x40, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8000284FDFC) Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netwbw02.sys product: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter company: Intel Corporation description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netwbw02.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation). Google query: Intel Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Tue 25.02.2014 08:27:36 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022514-7359-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x425637) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8023C840637, 0xFFFFD000397EA7D8, 0xFFFFD000397E9FE0) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 26.01.2014 06:29:07 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\012614-6859-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0) Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x9A, 0x1553B7, 0x6, 0x2) Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 21.01.2014 12:42:17 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\012114-6000-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x425637) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80120A2E637, 0xFFFFD00026ECC7D8, 0xFFFFD00026ECBFE0) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion
32 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: netwbw02.sys (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver, Intel Corporation) nuserver64.sys (Network USB Server 64bit Device Driver, Elite Silicon Technology Inc.) If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems. End of WhoCrashed´s Analysis.

For more information I have put the Windows event-viewer

a) application events

b) system events

c) Windows Power Shell logs, 

as well as the dumpfile-list on my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l840x044kepyrna/aSIqO7PmqC 

Please feel free to have a look at them too.

For comments and suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thanks for making your own thread, this will be much easier for me to navigate.

Can you please zip up and upload the actual crash dumps themselves?

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just uploaded them (minidump.rar) to my dropbox link (see above).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, thanks!

The consistent bug check is DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f).

This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

By default, the fault of the crash is usbccgp.sys which is NOT the true cause. If we go ahead and run an !irp on the 4th parameter of the bug check (blocked IRP address), we get the following:

>[ 16, 2]   0 e1 ffffe00001a92d90 00000000 fffff8030658cd80-ffffe000042d3f00 Success Error Cancel pending
          Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\LEqdUsb.Sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for LEqdUsb.Sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for LEqdUsb.Sys
 \Driver\LEqdUsb    nt!PopRequestCompletion

^^ Logitech SetPoint Unifying KMDF USB Filter driver.

Update this driver ASAP if available - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support-downloads

or if not, remove the software/device.

----------------------

1. Remove and replace AVG with Windows 8's built-in Windows Defender for temporary troubleshooting purposes as it's likely causing conflicts:

AVG removal - http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Windows Defender (how to turn on after removal) - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21962-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

2. In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

3. sptd.sys is listed and loaded in your modules list; SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools (known BSOD issues with Win 7 and 8). Please remove it ASAP with the uninstaller tool - http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads

Regards,

Patrick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Patrick for your help. 

Concerning the Logitech device, and other USB-devices on my machine, you might want to know the following: 

I have not plugged any USB-devices to my machine, but am instead using a 4-port USB to Ethernet-hub (http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/usb-lanport-400-giga), which allows me to drive my mouse, thumb-drive and ext. HD over my "WiFi-router". In this way I don't need to plug anything to my laptop apart from the power-cable.

However, due to a very weak internet signal here, my WiFi-router often loses the internet-connection. When that happens, also the USB-Hub (see above) which is physically connected with my router (LAN-cable), usually gets disconnected from the Laptop. Therefore the Logitech-mouse etc. will abruptly stop working.  Just wanted to let you know.

Concerning your suggestions: 

I have unsinstalled Daemon-Tools now and deactivated AVG. 

Concerning http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads I am not sure which of the two versions I need:
a) this one is for Windows 8 64Bit
b) this one is for Windows 8.1 32Bit 
But my device is Windows 8.1 64Bit. I guess I can go with option a), right?

Furthermore I have just realised that the Wifi-drivers that Sony provided on their website, as well as it´s update-tool, are very outdated. I just downloaded the latest version directly from Intel. 

Do you think there could be a relationship between the Wifi-drivers and my system-crashes?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the information. Hubs can at times be very problematic, especially if they are constantly overloaded from having too many devices plugged in at once. They can be generally problematic in general. If we continue to crash after the recent recommendations you've carried out, it would be best to remove the hub from the equation, and only connect what is 100% necessary to the laptop for troubleshooting purposes.

Regarding the drivers, yes, very possible.

Also, to answer your question, option A should work just fine.

Keep me updated.

Regards,

Patrick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wanted to uninstall the HUB just to make sure, but somehow it can´t be removed. After uninstall from "Programs and Features", followed by reboot it´s there again, but some files are missing now, so it can´t run either.

Re-installing the old or a newer version also doesn´t work because he recognizes that there is an older version installed already. How can I get rid of it for now?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it connected? If it's connected, Windows is probably attempting to just install the device drivers over and over again. You will need to remove the device, and then uninstall the drivers.

Regards,

Patrick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No it wasn´t connected.
Now I went back to a restore-point which I had created yesterday. Now it worked. Finally got it removed and then installed the latest version.

So far everything works fine. Shall we just wait for the next crash to come, or is there anything else you would suggest for now?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, that was my next suggestion. Glad to hear it worked.

For now, let's just see how the system behaves and keep me updated. If no crashes, consider it solved.

Regards,

Patrick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just had another crash.
I was about to load a website into my browser (Chrome), but there was no internet connection at that time. Then, for no obvious reason the device shut down.

I don´t know whether there is a relationship between the missing internet-connection, Chrome, Wifi and the crash, or not. Just wanted to let you know.

Following your suggestion, I have now unplugged the USB-WLAN-HUB and will check whether the problem continues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2018 Views 4,587 Applies to: