Can't refresh my windows after upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 Pro

I can't refresh or reset my windows after upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 Pro (64 bit).

My problem is this :

Firstly I used a Windows 7 license. I bought DVD Upgrading to Windows 8 Pro license and installed it, so I have only Windows 8 product key.

As Microsoft released Windows 8.1 upgrade in Apps store, I decided to download and upgrade it.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I have some problems with my PC.

So I am trying to use "Refresh Your PC".

It comes up with this error:  "Insert Media Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery medial will provide these files"

I have been told to create installation media for windows 8.1 :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

But the it is said in the important note that

"If you don't have a Windows 8.1 product key, you can't create installation media. You can't use a Windows 8 product key for this."

Now the only product key I have is Windows 8 product key from DVD I bought, what should I do?

And assume that I had Windows 8.1 product key now, and I had created installation media for Windows 8.1 already.

What should I do next?

Please help me. I'm not happy, I have to use my PC in my class but it gets into troubles for 2 weeks.

I think Microsoft had messed up a bit, but I'm just glad I found a official solution that works for me. Microsoft should come up with an official solution or any updates.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Using Windows 8.1 installation media you cannot perform refresh or reset  on the computer which is upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.

If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Warning: Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It comes up with this error when I refresh or restore :

"Insert Media Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery medial will provide these files"

So I can't refresh or restore anymore.

I'm still have many questions.

1. You mentioned that my PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition. What is Windows 8 recovery partition and where can I find Windows 8 recovery partition in my PC?

2. Someone told me that If you have installed Windows 8 from a disc, and the subsequently upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the App Store, then you will lose the Refresh and Restore functionality. Is this true? If the answer is "Yes", then what should I do?

3. Others told me that the only thing you can do is to perform a clean install. Is this true? If the answer is "Yes", then how to perform a clean install?

What should I do? Microsoft Help me please. My PC is not running smoothly as before. I can't use some applications until now, including Microsoft Office and other Apps from the Store.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ended up reinstalling Windows 8. You can do a full reinstall from your Windows 8 upgrade DVD. (Without having to install Windows 7 first)--as long as the installer can find another windows installation, which you have.

The downside of this is that you'll have to reinstall everything afterwards. :/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a ridiculous situation with MS as I just downloaded Windows 8.1 update from my Windows 8 PC which worked great but when I came to restart it Windows could not load and I got a message that I needed the media to refresh my PC.  Tried Windows 8 install disk (fully Licensed) and no joy at all.  Why doesn't MS release an ISO for those with genuine Windows 8 licenses.  Surely this is not beyond their means.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed 110%.

Totally ridiculous to leave early adopters (and buyers of legal, full price retail software, too!) out in the cold.

There's got to be a better way than a complete re-install of an older OS version when you simply want to clean house.

I'm having networking problems (can't access drives on my Win8.1 Pro machine from other computers in my network) and thought a Refresh would do the trick. Now I'm just pissed off.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i can't refesh my laptop it's error can u please help me :( my fb is https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007462531013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem... I even created a "Recovery" thumb drive after updating to Win 8.1. Get a message the media is invalid. Can't get the ISO to download from the MS Upgrade Windows with only a product key site.

THIS IS STUPID!

I have a valid Windows 8 product key. Why can't I download the Windows 8.1 ISO?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

STUPID... bad customer support! Almost every solution on this site ends with Refresh or Reset Windows... but you can't. STUPID.

Procedure to get ISO (but doesn't work on my computer for some reason). I get a "We can't connect right now" error after entering my product key... However, it worked for a friend of mine. Go to site I included above, click the Install Windows 8 button, enter you product key, start download, Close Window after download begins. Click Install Windows 8.1 button, download of Win 8.1 will "resume" without asking for a product key, after download completes create ISO.

David Witteried

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have same situation as you described.

Have you found solution?

IF so please share with us

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have same situation as you described.

Have you found solution?

IF so please share with us

The solution is either:

reinstall Windows 8.0 and forget about Windows 8.1

or

reinstall Windows 7 and stay away from Windows 8

or

install Linux

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got a copy of the ISO from a friend who was able to download it. I can't believe that MS would not re-enable my ability to download it. Just stupid to treat paying customers that way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2021 Views 5,912 Applies to: