Bitlocker pin (pre-boot) screen empty

Hello,

I enables bitlocker on a laptop (without TPM) and I also enabled the additional authentication with pin. It all works fine but I have small issue.

When the laptops reboots or boots fresh, the pre-boot screen where it should ask for the pin its just a plain blue screen. none of these letters or the space whre you press the pin appears. Although if you press the pin and hit enter it boots fine. Anyone has bumped onto this?

This is the screen on my laptop

Thank you

Answer
Answer

Hi John,

You might be facing this issue due to corrupt system files or outdated graphics card. I suggest you to change the resolution on the computer and update the graphics card and check if it helps.

a)       Right-click the mouse from the desktop interface and select “Screen Resolution” from the menu.
b)       Check the screen resolution shown there. It should be at least 1024 X 768.

Method 1: Update video card driver.

Steps to update video card driver:

a.    Press Windows key + X and select device manager.
c.    Select the video card device and right click on it
d.    Now select properties.
e.    In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Update Driver button.
f.    After the installing the updates restart the computer.

If the issue persists even after updating the graphics card driver, I suggest you to run the SFC scan and check.

Method 2:

Run a system file checker scan and then try to create system restore points check if that helps. Refer the following steps to run SFC scan.

Please refer to the steps to perform SFC Scan:

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.
b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.
c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.
d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Hope this helps.

Please post back if the issue persists and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 19,944 Applies to: