Windows 8.1 - "Driver IRQL not less or equal"(jraid.sys)

Recently installed Windows 8.1 and often does BSOD on me! "Driver IRQL not less or equal (jraid.sys)" I get this message and then my computer does not restart.When I restart it with the restart button on the motherboard, after the restart it crashes again. After I shut it down  after start it's OK for few days. Then it's happening again. So far could not figure out the reason or the moment when it's happening. Some times it is when I'm browsing (Chrome),when window update starts or just out of the blue! Checked all my drivers, they are updated. I do not have advance knowledge so i do not want to mess around drivers folder in windows system folder or with the register... Help would be appreciated. 
Answer
Answer

Hello Istvan,

I understand that you are getting BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) with error message, "Driver IRQL not less or equal (jraid.sys)" while using google chrome, windows update or sometimes randomly while using your windows 8.1 computer. I will certainly help you with the same. However, we need few more details to understand the issue better.

1. Have you made any changes in your computer recently?

2. What is the make and model of your computer?

3. Do you have any security programs installed in your computer?

As of now, I suggest you the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1:

Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and resolve any file system structural corruption. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Once CheckDisk process would be completed. Restart the computer and perform clean boot.

Method 2:

Boot the computer in a Clean Boot state and check the status. A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue. 

Important: Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Please install windows update as the issue might be related with missing updates of important windows components.

Method 3:

Please follow the steps to install available Windows Updates.

1. Press Windows + R, and type “control” (without quotes), and press enter.
  2. Change the view by (from file explorer) to large icons or small icons.
  3. Click on Windows Update to open it.
  1. Click Check for Updates. After the scan is complete, click Review optional updates.
  2. Click the check box next to the updates, then click Install updates.
  3. If prompted, review the license agreement, then click I Accept.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the updates. If prompted, reboot your computer.

After installing windows update, reboot your computer and check for any new windows update. If no updates are available then use the computer check if you face BSOD situation again.

If issue still persists please reply with the details of the troubleshooting steps with the result.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues, we’ll be glad to assist you.
Regards,

Shivam Kesarwani

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2020 Views 2,608 Applies to: