How do i automatically pin an application installed to the start menu ?

Original Title: windows 8.1.

hi i know this is a minor change in windows 8.1 that when a new application is installed it is not automatically pinned to the start menu.

is there anyway to change this option so that when an application is installed it automatically pins to the start menu ?

Answer
Answer

Not true sir.  There is no programmatic way to force-pin your program's icon into the Start menu or the Windows 8.1 start screen.

You can only add programs to the "All Programs" menu.

Microsoft actually blogged about this in the "Engineering Windows 7" blog.  There's also no way to programmatically self-pin your own icon to the Taskbar in Windows 7 or higher.  According to the blog, it was in direct response to programs that "spammed" the quick launch toolbar, and to prevent such behavior by programs going forward.

I can't speculate to why 8.0 didn't enforce this, but 8.1 returns to the Windows 7 method of "no auto-pin".

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 30, 2022 Views 1,664 Applies to: