File History does not recognize my external hard drive and got the error "We can’t copy your files to this drive location."

* Original Title: File History does not recognize drive.

I am running Windows 8.1. and have a second hard drive connected to my computer.  However, File History repeatedly fails to recognize this drive.

When I click on This PC, the drive is listed as New Volume (E) but when I click on File History in the Control Panel, this message is displayed : “File History doesn’t recognize this drive.  New Volume (E). Unknown Error”.  And if I click on Run Now, I get this message : “We can’t copy your files to this drive location.  Your current File History drive is disconnected. Reconnect the drive and try again”.

I have checked and checked.  The drive is connected properly, File History is turned on, so what could be the problem?  Sometimes, the drive is not even listed when I click on This PC but when I disconnect the drive and the power supply and then reconnect both, the drive is listed once again.  Yet File History still does not recognize the drive.   Strangely, just on one occasion, File History did recognize the drive and files were copied to the drive.  But subsequently, the drive repeatedly fails to be recognized.  What really could be the problem?  I would really appreciate views and comments from Community Members.  Thanks.

Answer
Answer
The solution given above by the engineer has worked for me by just changing the drive letter as outlned in  Method 2. Many Thanks. BSS

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2023 Views 7,754 Applies to: