aeinv.dll hangs

I have a brand new computer with a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro with almost nothing installed. I have a problem with a process that is constantly starting and hanging and using 100% cpu on one core: rundll32.exe aeinv.dll,UpdateSoftwareInventory

I understand that it is a part of the Application Experience for program compatibility. I have tried to disable the service, deactive some settings in group policy editor and disable the Application Experience entries in scheduled tasks. But this process keeps starting and hanging. Anyone knows why this happens, and is there a way of stopping this process from starting? It is a very annoying problem.

I see a few other posts about this on the internet, but no solutions. The few I have found seem to happen with Windows 8.1, so I guess there could be something wrong in 8.1.

Regards,
Lars

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Lars,

What are the steps that you have tried to resolve the issue?

The aeinv.dll is a Application Experience Program Inventory Component. It could also occur if there is any third party program conflicts.

Let's analyze and identify the cause of the issue. Perform the steps provided here.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to boot the device to safe mode and check.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Step 2: Clean boot

If you do not face the issue in safe mode, then put your computer in clean boot and check.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow the section ‘How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot’ under ‘more information’ in the article to put your computer back to normal startup.

Method 2:

You may also run SFC scan to check if there is any system corrupted files.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Method 3: Virus scan

If the issue still persists, run a virus scan on your computer.
www.microsoft.com/security/scanner

Note: If any virus or malware files are found during the scan, there might be a chance of data loss as the infected files will be deleted.

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi! Thanks for the answer.

It does not happen in Safe Mode (because the service is not running I guess.)

It still happens in Clean boot. All non-Microsoft services and startup elements disabled. It looks like aeinv.dll starts and hangs whenever I install or uninstall a program. It doesn't matter which program I install or uninstall.

SFC does not find any integrity violations.

There are no malware reported by Windows Defender or Microsoft Safety Scanner (the computer is under 1 week old.)

Is there a way to disable the Application Experience Program Inventory Component?

Best regards,
Lars

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lars,

What are the recent programs that you have installed?

Application Experience investigates the compatibility of older programs and searches for updates for known problems. Disabling this service will not harm your computer. However, let's check the issue in new user account.

Create a new user account and check.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Hope this information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! I tried to create a local account, and the same problem happens there.

This is what is installed. Most of the programs were installed after this problem started to happen. I guess mostly the MSI and Nvidia stuff were installed when I noticed this for the first time.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Lars

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I also have the same problem. rundll32.exe fully uses one of my cpu cores (12.5% of an core i7 cpu). I repeated the same suggestions above with no help. I have also installed NVIDIA graphics card programs and Prepar3D V2. I suppose that my problem started about the same time when I installed Prepar3D or an update of NVIDIA driver is installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

That's interesting. I have a i7-4770k, a GTX 770 and MSI motherboard.

I tried to roll back to the previous Nvidia driver, but that didn't help. I guess a Prepar3D v2 uninstall is the next to try, but that is a big task. Does it mostly happen for you when you install/uninstall programs?

I don't know how to stop this rundll32.exe aeinv.dll from starting either. I have tried to disable the Application Experience service, but it still starts. Also tried to turn off Program Compatibility Assistant (and some other options) in the group policy editor, but that didn't help either. I'm not sure if I have done the correct things here though, since there are a million settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Deleted

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The information posted by Splitty is incorrect.

Disabling ApplicationExperience in Task scheduler or disabling Customer Experience Improvement does not solve this problem.

We are talking AEINV.dll not AEPDU.dll (which is disabled with those instructions).

The problem is caused by Prepar3D.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disabling ApplicationExperience in Task scheduler or disabling Customer Experience Improvement does not solve this problem.

We are talking AEINV.dll not AEPDU.dll (which is disabled with those instructions).

Yeah I noticed that the issue came back a few days ago but has yet to return.  It definitely doesn't happen nearly as often as it did. 

Prepar3D...as in the flight sim?? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I noticed that the issue came back a few days ago but has yet to return.  It definitely doesn't happen nearly as often as it did. 

Prepar3D...as in the flight sim?? 

yes, i have the same problem as well. this is seriously bugging me that lockheed martin is doing nothing about this bug.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 10,324 Applies to: