Windows 8.1: WiFi dropping and/or "Limited"

Since installing 8.1 Pro, I'm having issues with WiFi dropping internet connectivity and always showing "Limited" when clicking on the system tray icon.  When I troubleshoot the problem using the system tool it is always the gateway that is faulty.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the device drivers several times, installed the newest drivers directly from Intel, restarted the computer, etc.  I can restore connectivity by turning WiFi off then back on, but the connection will drop at what seems to be random intervals.  My applicable system specs are as follows;

Lenovo Y510P  Laptop

Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230

Apple Time Capsule router w/newest firmware

Needless to say this is quite an irritating bug that didn't exist prior to the update to 8.1  I hope this can be resolved quickly. Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To all of you, involved in never ending discussion. Unfortunately you don't understand that there is this discussion started with 8.1 upgrade, all about the wi-fi stability or issues with wi-fi connection. All problems make troubles to customers of Microsoft W8.1. Sorry, is there any person in Microsoft services willing or able to provide analyze of the problem and say this and that is wrong in routers logic, this and that is wrong in PC adapters, this and that is due to W8.1 excellent new features which we changed from W7 to W8 or W8.1. This is the only reasonable and professional way to react on disaster in SW vs HW battle in finding the responsibility and not the solution of this fault. Workarounds, additional applications or try and pray recommendations, sorry it is not the Microsoft forum value for its customers. Vaclav

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Similar problem.

My network "disconnects" during random intervals but says I am still connected to the internet. Anywhere between 3 minutes and 3 hours, but usually it's every 10 minutes. This is a brand new Win8 laptop (<8 months) and this problem has been occurring for the past 3 months, I have wasted too many hours attempting to fix this. As a heavy programs user I have been very disappointed with Win8 itself, it's fine on tablets but not on real computers when I need to do real work.

Summary:

Problem: Dropping internet connection while "still connected". eg. Websites will not load even with full bars.

Frequency: 3 minutes to 3 hours. Average of 10 minutes.

Quick fix: Disconnecting from the network, reconnecting to the network.

Permanent fix: Buying a mac after owning 8 windows laptops in 8 years.

Toshiba P850

Windows 8.1

Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not going to work for me with Wifi dropping off in the middle of email writing. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is probably your AirPort. Go to participate and ask a question in your own thread for help and we would be glad to help you. This thread is old and has too many people attached to effectively help you with your unique issue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749073/en-us

That is one example but the issue could be any number of things. For example, the IPv6 data packets could be getting dropped at the router or ISP. DNS cache could be effected by bad data. Virus software could have attached itself to netsh properties and be killing valid data. The adapter could have been updated in the newer version of windows and is broken. Or it could have been broken and not standard conforming but the states weren't enforced but now due to security reason they are.

The reason are endless. But the error is with the 3rd party HW or SW since they make the HW and are ultimately responsible for it working correctly. If a new version of an OS is released they can either hope it still works or update the SW to keep it working but that is up to them. There is a place on Microsoft.com where you can check if HW will work off the bat or if it needs a firmware or driver update to work or if it doesn't work.

This is a community of peer to peer help and Microsoft does not participate since this is not a official support forum. They do not maintain hardware and it isn't theirs to maintain. They make the OS and the hardware is made to work with the OS not the other way around. Microsoft does have limited support here but that isn't the intention of this community. MSDN has more info about driver dev. And, the link I provided you has more info about issues that you can research.

There are thousands of devices made by third party makers I wouldn't doubt if there were over a million made so far. They weren't designed by and the software wasn't written by Microsoft so Microsoft will be unable to answer why a specific device installed in an unknown environment with countless third party software is malfunctioning. That is the job of the manufacture. You pay Microsoft for the OS which has interfaces for the network card. The interface works so the buck stops there.

Hope that helps you understand why Microsoft has not released a patch to fix all issues and is not saying what the issue is. They have released some patches to fix common issues but it is impossible to fix every issue because it would be illegal for them to modify software they don't have the rights to modify

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

I have a HP g6 with the RT3290 HiFi/BT adapter.

I had (I hope) all these problems of disconnecting, limited connectivity, not finding any WiFi router, not connecting at all etc.....

I have tried everything I found while searching the internet for the last 2 months.

Finally, my problem seems to have been solved by disabling the Bluetooth.

3 days now, I have no problem. The connection to the router, the switching between routers and the (manual) reconnection is performed instantly and reliably. No more disconnections!!!

Most likely, there is an interference, between BT and WiFi, both operating in the  2.4 GHz band.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please, read the comments and claims carefuly. To whom do you explain that any numer of things makes their PC dead. And what do you recommend if you get know from the correspondence that neither PC supplyer nor PS service representative nor OS representaive has the answer with the solution. I sat on my first mainframe terminal in 1966, cybernetics, computer science and appplied mathematics is my profession and hobby until today, I never heard this kind of arrogance  in the world and among the community of mainframes, UNIX or Mac users, clients and customers... Sorry, we, ITrepresentative  have to apologize for that. VAP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How can it be possible to have Windows without Bugs. Its not fault of any hardware but Windows 8.1 big bug. Windows 8 is also not stable that's y windows 8.1 was released, Windows 7 is stable version so I think downgrading windows version is best solution yet until MS fix this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

Limited connection on my Wi-Fi network after updating to windows 8.1.

Please provide a solution for this problem.

It’s NOT the router.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the driver works with 8, but not with 8,1 - HP to blame, not MS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 283,718 Applies to: