Windows 8.1 DirectX Issues...

Hello,

I updated my PC to Windows 8.1 as soon as I could, and I had no problems with the installation or any issues with my PC since updating.  I also messed around my Device Manager a couple days ago, but was very careful to only mess around with Google and Samsung drivers... So I don't think that is causing the problem, but I'm not ruling it out (I was messing around with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone [installing an Android 4.4 ROM on it] but as I mentioned, I was very careful only to mess with drivers associated with Samsung and Google, so I'm thinking/hoping I didn't mess anything up during that process).  

Anyways, I haven't played any video games on my PC since updating to Windows 8.1 a few weeks ago, so I haven't noticed this problem until trying to play this new game I downloaded today.  After installing it, I got the error "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices" followed by the error "DXUTCreateDevice failed."  

The first thing I did to troubleshoot was I tried opening another game, and I got a similar sounding error: "Failed to initialize renderer NiXAdapterDesc::GetDeviceCaps() failed."  

Another game, another error: "Alpha blending with D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F is not supported, which is required to run this game."

I tried more games, identical and similar errors kept popping up, and I could load no games.  Keep in mind, all of these games worked flawlessly on my PC before.

So, I tried a system restore.  Upon restoring to a restore point October 24th (Oct 24th is the oldest I could restore to, presumably because I think I updated to Windows 8.1 right before that), I got this error message upon restarting the computer:
"System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details:
System Restore failed to extract the file
(C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.DirectX) from the restore point.  The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore."

So, I ran dxdiag, and it said my directX is up to date with no problems detected.  I also found out during this process that it doesn't seem possible to update/reinstall DirectX externally - only through a Windows update.  My Windows is currently up to date.  

Finally, I opened Recovery and selected "Refresh your PC without affecting your files."  Tried that, said it was missing files (presumably the Microsoft.DirectX file?) and it asked me to input my recovery media.  Right then I was SO happy with myself for remembering to create a recovery disc a while back.  A WINDOWS 8.0 RECOVERY DISC.  I just updated to Windows 8.1, so it's saying I put in the wrong disc.  I never made a Windows 8.1 recovery disc...

I haven't tried the option "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" yet for two reasons... One, that's a pain.  Two, I'm probably still missing the necessary files that I was missing for the "Refresh" option.  
I also did not try the "Advanced Startup" option where it will start up from a disc (my recovery disc) because the recovery disc I made is for Windows 8.0 and I'm not sure if it will work now that I am running WIndows 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please know that I did not come to this forum first by any means, and searched the web for quite a while without finding any fixes for my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Upon doing some further research, I noticed a lot of people are having DirectX 11.2 issues with Windows 8.1, so I thought I should look into my video card.  I have a NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, which according to this post is compatible with Direct X 11.2 on Windows 8.1.   However, I went into my Device Manager to check for driver updates, and after searching for drivers it said it found one to install, attempted to install it, and I got this error message:
"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
The require line was not found in the INF.
If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

So that's what I did.  I downloaded NVIDIA's "GeForce Experience" application which updates drivers and "optimizes settings" and checks to make sure your drivers are up to date.  According to the "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" application, my driver is in fact up to date, and no issues were detected (no issues were detected in the Device Manager as well).

Also, apparently the release date for the driver that I'm currently using for my graphics card was released on 11/7/2013, so it seems to be very, very up to date.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alright I'm sorry I'm having a conversation with myself here.  According to this GeForce Experience application, my driver is version 331.65 and released 11/7/2013.  However, according to DxDiag and Device Manager, the driver for my video card was released 9/12/2013 version 9.18.13.2723 and installed 10/27/2013...  

Also, in DxDiag, the feature leavels include "11.0, 10.1, 10.0, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1" and 11.1 and 11.2 are not listed.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 uses DirectX    11.1

Windows 8.1 uses DirectX   11.2

That is probably why it's coming up with an error because the Windows 8 recovery disk you made has DirectX 11.1 on it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I apologize.  I went to NVIDIA's website and downloaded the driver version that the "GeForce Experience" application said I had (and was up to date), and I uninstalled and reinstalled my video driver to the most up-to-date one from NVidia's website (version 331.65) and now everything is fixed.

Moral of the story, don't trust Device Manager to update your drivers correctly?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2021 Views 3,784 Applies to: