MTP USB Driver Error from Windows 8.1

Hey Folks,

I am at the end of my line .... I have tried everything that I can find and nothing seems to work.

I have a HP Laptop and have updated (through prompt) to the Windows 8.1 version. I have always previously had no problems simply plugging my iPhone 5s into the USB port on the side and it is recognised - first thing is usually to ask/prompt me to upload any fresh photos to my laptop. It is also always recognised in iTunes as well as in File Explorer in Windows.

Since the last update, my iPhone no longer exists. When I try to upload images in Windows Photos, I am told "there is no device found". If I look on File Explorer, my iPhone does not appear anywhere. If I open iTunes, it recognises that my iPhone is connected and charging, however I can not manipulate music or anything through there. I have also plugged in different phones and they're also not recognised.

I have followed a million steps online to fix this problem. I have twice now deleted all of the Apple associated programs (as instructed) and reinstalled iTunes. I have reinstalled the MTP USB Driver so many times, however now find an online suggestion that is would make no difference, as if it is a driver malfunction that Windows will simply be reinstalling the same faulty driver.

When I look on Device Manager, under Portable Devices, MTP USB Device is there, however with a yellow exclamation mark on it. When I right click and look at Properties, the box in General says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.".

Someone must have a solution for this. I just don't understand how everything can work fine and then all of a sudden my phone no longer exists.

CAN SOMEONE/ANYONE HELP ME!!!!

Answer
Answer

Hi Jese,

Sorry, to know that you are still facing this issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you try connecting the USB cable to another USB port and check?

To fix this problem, use the following methods in the order in which they are listed. After each method, check if problem is fixed. If the problem is not fixed, try the next method.

Method 1: I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall USB controller and check if it helps.  

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:

a. Press Windows key + R, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.

b. Click the Hardware tab.

c. Click the Device Manager button.

d. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

e. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

f. Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

g. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

If issue persist, proceed to next method.

Method 2: I would like you to go to the computer manufacturer’s website to download the updated chipset drivers and install them.

Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2024 Views 581 Applies to: