Thumbs.db file in use by another program inhibits folder deletions. How do I turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files in Windows 8.1 regular edition?

How do I turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files.?

I am tormented by the problem in Windows 8.1 of not being able to easily and efficiently delete a folder because of "thumbs.db" being in use by another program.  I have Windows 8.1 (regular edition, not Pro.) I need thumbnails enabled in folder views to do my work and I need to be able to delete a folder when I choose to do so without having to change window views, or reset my computer, etc.  I have spent a lot of time trying to find a solution posted somewhere.

A solution offered in one thread ( here ) advises the following:

1. Go to the Start screen
  2. Type gpedit.msc in the search box and hit Enter.
  3. Expand User Configuration- Administrative Templates - Windows Components.
  4. Click on File Explorer.
  5. In the right pane, Right-click the entry Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files and choose Edit.  Be careful to get the right one, as there are several settings with similar names.
  6. Enable the setting and OK out.

My version of Windows 8.1 has no "gpedit.msc", no group policy management, etc. I am glad that that is a solution for those who have the Pro version of Windows 8.1, but it unfortunately doesn't help resolve my issue.

This thread ( here ) advises:

1. Click the Start button .
  2. Click on Control Panel .
  3. Click on Folder Options .
  4. Click on the View tab .
  5. Under the Files and Folders section check the button next to "Always show icons, never thumbnails" .
  6. Click on Apply .
  7. Click on OK .

This is not a solution because I need thumbnails turned on.  The original poster of that thread did seem to find a solution involving registry manipulation that was a bit over my head.  He said,

Update: I ended up adding "DisableThumbsDBOnNetworkFolders"=dword:00000001

and "DisableThumbnailCache”=dword:00000001 to the various locations recommended

by various sites for windows this and windows that ... one of them fixed it

Can someone possibly explain how to do that in enough detail that I can replicate the steps taken to fix it?  I have not edited my registry.  I couldn't find enough information for me to do what he briefly described.

Two solutions are offered in another thread ( here ) first saying to navigate to the settings in the Folder Options > View tab and make sure the box for "Display file icon on thumbnails" is not checked.  That did not resolve the issue.  I still often get a message that I can not delete a folder because "thumbs.db" is open in another program.

And lastly, the solution at the end of the above thread led to my finally just being exasperated:

Babu V replied on Microsoft Support Engineer

Hi,

Start your computer in safe mode and check if you can delete it.

Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

I really hope that Babu who wrote that really just did not understand the issue.  Yes, if I reset my computer, I can delete the stubborn folder.  Please don't tell me that is what you expect anyone to do.  I want to be respectful while posting and asking for help, but that is a very frustrating suggestion there.  Imagining the amount of time wasted resetting my computer into safe mode each and every time this happens staggers me.  I can only guess Babu thought it was just a singular occurence.

So, in summary, I have Windows 8.1 regular edition, I do not have Group Policy editting, I need to see thumbnails in my file explorer windows, and I repeatedly get the "thumbs.db" in use error when trying to delete folders.  I have spent hours looking for a solution and authoring this synopsis and request for assistance.  Please please please please give us a final, unequivocable response that has a simple solution that works, help outlining the more complicated process to achieve relief by editting the registry, or a statement that this issue regretfully can not be resolved.

I have my fingers crossed.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. Which folder are you trying to delete?
  2. Are you facing with the issue with all the folders?
  3. Are you trying to delete a n\w folder?

The thumbs.db file is used to store the thumbnails of images and videos. Anytime thumbnails view is enabled or has been enabled in Microsoft Windows the hidden file thumbs.db is automatically created in the same directory as where the thumbnails have been viewed. This file contains the information required by Windows to display the thumbnails for each of the icons and will be placed in every folder thumbnails are viewed.

This file can be safely deleted from any directory, however, it will be automatically recreated if thumbnails view is still enabled and you view that directory again. You can hide it by hiding system files but you cannot get rid of it permanently.

I suggest you that  create a .reg file(If you are facing the issue with all the folders only) and do a double click on it by copy pasting these commands in a notepad. This should disable thumbnail caching.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

"DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]

"DisableThumbsDBOnNetworkFolders"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this helps.

Please post back if the issue persists and we will be glad to assist you further.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

A solution which allows me to delete the thumbs.db

Open Task Manager (Windows button + R, type in Taskmgr and press enter)

Find the Windows Explorer process, right click on it and select End Task. The start bar and any explorer windows should disappear. 

Now at the top of the Task Manager click File -> Run new task

Type in the folder name in which the folder containing the thumbs.db files are contained. 

E.g. let's say you have photos in D:\Photography\Holiday

Then type in d:\Photography\

In the search bar at the top right of the window type in thumbs.db

Select them all and hit delete. 

In task manager, go to File -> run new task

Type in Explorer and press enter. 

This process basically just removes the handle that the explorer process had on the thumbs.db files, allowing you to delete them. They'll still auto-create afterwards though. I use this when I want to delete empty folders that have the thumb.db stuck in them. 

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 28,026 Applies to: