screen brightness cannot adjust after upgrading to windows 8.1

My laptop is Samsung NP370R4E-S06PH with Intel HD4000 and AMD Radeon HD 8750M graphics. After I upgraded my laptop to Win 8.1, everything looks normal except that the AMD driver disappeared and I can't adjust the screen brightness anymore (it's always 100% but I wish I could adjust it to save battery). I tried adjusting via fn keys but that didn't work. I also tried it via charms menu and power plan but the screen brightness is still maxed. How can I adjust the screen brightness again? There's an available update for AMD (version 12.-something) via SW update but I doubt that this will solve the problem. I read from the net that there are problems related to AMD drivers for Win 8.1, especially the blank black screen problem.
Answer
Answer
What I finally did was to go into the control panel/system/device manager/display adapter/ from there  I rolled back to the original driver for my Intel  HD Graphic 4000 display. That got the buttons working again.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I have a Lenovo laptop and had the same issue. You can revert back to the old driver but this seems to slowdown the screen changes. I noticed with win8.1 the screen response times were much faster! So what I did was to after going back to the Lenovo original driver for the Intel HD 4000 and restarting the computer, I adjusted  the screen brightness to where it was best. Then I rolled back to the new win 8.1 driver that was installed with the win 8.1 upgrade. A compromise for sure since I am back to not being able to adjust the screen, but at least the screen is where I normally have it set. Mine was so dim it was getting hard to concentrate when working with Photoshop. If a fix comes out pass iton.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2020 Views 2,690 Applies to: