How to get Windows 8.1 Metro UI as default, NOT desktop

I got used to the Metro UI with my Windows 8 computer that was recently stolen.   I purchased a replacement, and upgraded to 8.1.  When I close any app from the Metro UI tiles page, my computer goes to the desktop.  I would like to default return to the tiles page, NOT the desktop.  On the Navigation tab from the Taskbar and Navigation property, there is an unchecked box that states "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of start".  I want the opposite of that.   I want to go to the START screen (tiles) when I close apps, NOT the desktop.  How do I make that change to get back to the start being the default screen.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Unchecking the option of Showing Windows Store apps on taskbar may help in getting the issue resolved.

Perform the steps mentioned below and see if it helps in getting the issue resolved.

a: Right Click on the taskbar and click properties

b: Then click the Taskbar tab

c: Now uncheck the option Show Windows store apps on the taskbar

d: Now click the Navigation tab

e: Now uncheck the option When I sign in or close all apps on a screen , go the desktop instead of Start(Which I guess is already set that way as you have mentioned it)

f: Click apply and then ok.

If you need any further assistance with Windows Operating System, please post your query on Microsoft Community Forums and we’ll be glad to assist you with it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed. Let us know if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2023 Views 7,413 Applies to: