No Wireless Networks After Upgrade to Windows 8.1 Preview

I upgrade to Windows 8.1 preview this morning, but after the installation was completed, I can't seem to find, see and connect to any nearby Wireless Networks. Yes, my wireless card is switched on, just not locating any network.

And to make the matter worst, when I tried to use my T-Mobile mobile broadband USB stick, windows now displays "Invalid SIM Card" error, so I can't connect with that either anymore. As of this morning, both the T-Mobile Stick and the internal Wireless Card work perfectly.
Answer
Answer

I own a Lenovo G470 and my problem is solved.

Device manager was showing I had a Realtek wireless lan driver facing a startup error. I tried updating the driver even with a LAN connection working but had no luck.

Then I downloaded the latest Realtek/Atheros bundle drivers from the Lenovo support site, installed them and still no luck. The driver shown in Device Manager seemed to be the same that was installed before and still not working.

So I tried to update the driver choosing the Browse My Computer for Driver Software / Let me pick a list of device drivers. It showed three options: Realtek driver, Microsoft driver and Atheros driver. Tried each one, as soon as I chose the ATHEROS driver the wireless lan icon appeared and everything started working!

I hope this helps someone.

Now my Windows 8.1 notebook rocks.

Best regards and thanks for the help!

Cesar

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Here's an update;

Looks like Windows 8.1 has nothing to do with the T-Mobile card, I called T-Mobile, and they were able to fix that problem. But my internal wireless card still can't find wireless networks.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2024 Views 34,845 Applies to: