How do I setup Windows 10 Mail app for Verizon.net?

Just tried to setup the Windows 10 mail application to connect to a other than predefined email service, specifically Verizon.net.

In adding an account the app just asks for  email address and password.  It doesn't ask any questions or provide any location for identifying the incoming or outgoing STMP server addresses and / or port numbers.

For instance the data that I had told me that the POP server address was simply incoming.verizon.net and the outgoing was outgoing.verizon.net.  I cannot verify this, but this is what was recorded from a previous connection. ... ( I am trying to set this up for a friend. )

With what the mail app asked for it did not succeed in making the connection for downloading mail.  It did not ask for POP or IMAP, nor did it ask for the contact addresses.  So, it appears that this app is trying to hide the complexity from the user, but it failed to connect and I don't know how to verify where it is trying to connect.  "Fix Account" doesn't fix anything!

Some ISPs change the standard outgoing port as well using a port number other than 25 for SMTP.  How can I setup an application that doesn't allow me access to the details?  Is there a way to get at the details and set them?

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Answer
Answer

After much trial and error I got it to work.  Verizon is really messed up because one account just linked with completely different settings.  If you are having trouble, try this.

120 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I've been dealing with this issue for several days on my Surface Book and my FIOS account.  I went back to the settings I have been using on my Dell desktop (Win10) and it finally worked...

Incoming - mail.verizon.net

outgoing - outgoing.verizon.net

All boxes checked.

Bingo,  emails came streaming in.

64 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 23,911 Applies to: