Windows 7 Windows Update error 8000FFFF

Windows Updates won't install security updates or other updates: Error 8000FFFF.

FixIt doesn't help.

Manually downloaded Hotfix for Windows KB947821 but it took over 3 hours to install, so I cancelled it. I'm not sure this would have even fixed my error.

My computer runs insanely slow. I've turned off Windows update automatic updates because they fail every time and my computer runs them on start up.

Please help with next steps.

Hi,

Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Method 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check if you’re able to install the updates.

‘Open the Windows Update troubleshooter’

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Method 2: Start the computer in clean boot and then follow the steps provided in the following article and check if that helps. To configure your computer to clean boot refer the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

‘Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

Method 3: For issues with the computer running slow, run the fixit provided in the following link and check if the issue persists.

‘Fix Windows system performance problems on slow Windows computers’

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/slow_windows_performance/

You may also optimize Windows 7 and check if that helps.

‘Optimize Windows 7 for better performance’

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am still having problems.

Windows Update Troubleshooter says it fixed issues, but updates still won't install successfully.

I tried the following (from support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997) under the clean boot startup:
- I tried running the System Update Readiness tool, but it wouldn't run.
- I tried running the System File Checker tool, but it said something else was currently running/scanning and the tool needed to be run at a different time.
- I tried to reset the content of the Catroot2 folder, but it said it couldn't find this folder.
- I tried to remove any incorrect Registry values, but none of those values existed in my registry.
- I tried to register the Windows Update files, but updates still won't install successfully.
- I temporarily disabled my anti-virus software, but updates still won't install successfully.

I tried to manually install the following updates from microsoft update online, and here are the responses I got.
KB2585542 - not applicable
KB2645640 - not installed
KB2654428 - not applicable
KB2660465 - not applicable
KB2640148 - not installed
KB2660075 - not installed

When I use Windows Update from my machine (and not online), I usually get error code 8000FFFF, but a few times I also got 8007045D.

I was able to successfully download an update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2668562) and Microsoft .NET (KB2600217), but I can't download the security updates and general updates for Windows 7.

I will run chkdsk tonight.

The performance suggestions did not help in my case as I don't have many programs, except my anti-virus, that run at start up. I still have microsoft office programs that file to open the first time with error message "Failed to send command to program."
My computer still runs slowly despite being only 1.5 years old.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update:

Chkdsk replaced a lot of corrupted files, but there was also a series of file deemed "unreadable."

Windows Update runs much faster now, and successfully installed 1 update for Windows defender, but 8 other updates failed. At least it only takes 3 minutes to run instead of 3 hours.

I also just noticed that my drivers must be out of date because nothing I insert into my USB ports is recognized (my camera, my external hard drive, my flashdrive).
This seems like a bigger issue perhaps that just drivers.

Advice on these updates?

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why give me 8000 ffff    And does not want to activate    update 

Is it possible to find me a solution

88 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2024 Views 33,502 Applies to: