unable to install Windows XP, checking the hardware configuration with error: INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768

Original Title: INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768

Our Computer has Win XP Pro, but has a problem and continually tries to reboot just prior to the Windows screen.  Only option given was to use original install disc to boot from and restart computer.  When I do that it says checking the hardware configurationand then gives me the following error: INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768.  What can I do to fix this? 

Hi,

1. Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to the computer prior to the issue?

2. What is the complete error message that you receive while booting the computer?

Disable automatic restart on system failure and check if there is any error.

I suggest you to remove all the external devices except keyboard and mouse.

Also remove any CD/DVD present in the CD/DVD drive.

Please follow the links:

Method 1:

Try to boot the computer in Safe mode.

To start the computer in safe mode:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

If the computer is successfully booting in safe mode, then follow the next method.

Method 2:

You need to perform a Clean Boot to prevent any conflicting applications from interfering with the computer.

To place the computer in a Clean Boot state, you need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below –

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Note: You need to follow Step 4 from the article mentioned above to get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the steps.

If you are able to boot into Safe mode and not in a clean boot, then I suggest you to perform a hardware clean boot in the next method.

Method 3:

Perform Hardware Clean Boot and check with the issue:

a. Right click on My Computer, click on Properties.

b. Click on Hardware Tab, In Device Manager.

c. Right Click on Sound Card, In Video Adapter, In Network Adapter one by one and click disable.

d. Reboot the computer. If the problem is fixed then you can enable the hardware devices one by one to find the exact device that causes the problem.

After you found the device that causing the problem you can resolve by installing last driver or replacing the device.

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2024 Views 4,821 Applies to: